eho35 oil problem

Well, I guess it's possible that you got a bad build. Someone else on here just got one that had a broken intake and is now awaiting a replacement.

If it was overfilled it could seep out but I don't know what the ramifications are after that. I would talk to GEBE about it. If you spilled oil outside of the filler hole, it can seep down onto the top of the fuel tank, then slowing drip out the sides the next few days/weeks. It is possible that's where the oil is coming from? I would be happy to look at it if you bring it over to see if there is something that was overlooked but I don't do engine repair if there is physical damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be that spilled out side of the filler hole thing because it is draining down over the top of the tank. thanks for the offer, for now I will see if it clears up, if so, it was just some spill over. The thing runs just great, I cruise at 20 mph no problem (I did 30 miles the other day with no problem at all). the fact that it is running like a champ makes me think that it is not a gasket or foamy oil or any weird stuff like that.

It should have a breather hose going to the air intake. The crankcase on a 4 stroke has to be vented. If the oil is allowed to get up there it will push it into the air filter and into the engine. Some of the ways it can get there is, Blow By, the rings are not seated. A bad check valve on the breather. Too much oil in the crank case. Have fun, Dave

Oil Leak

Egor is right on. I overfilled my oil on my motor. It leaked oil out of air cleaner . If the rings are seated properly ,the oil in the combustion chamber will cause your motor to seem like it lock up.

I found with my 2 Subaru Robin engines that 100ccs of oil, as called for in the owner's manual, is too much oil and will blow out into the air cleaner. Use no more than 1/3 cup of oil, or fill the oil to 1/2 way up on the dip stick with the engine level. I have over 3,000 miles on one engine and over 2,000 miles on the other engine with not one single engine problem at all using 1/2 full of oil. The oil blowing out into the air cleaner causes sooty black deposits on the back of the bike and a fouled, blackened plug.

Also there was oil coming out of the top spark plug cover.

Tighten everything on the motor, I've seen more than one of those EHO engines come through with loose screws.

I've never seen such a collection of miss information or bad information as this thread.

PS: I do like the OHC in the Honda, but the Iron liner in the Subaru makes it far better than the Honda.

Wrong no iron liner in the EHO

IF you had too much oil in the engine to begin with, what happens is 2-fold. One, the oil will start to foam. Not a good thing as the foam, instead of the FLUID oil is NOT lubricating the system properly. The second problem is that too much oil will cause a high pressure which can blow out seals/gaskets.

can't happen on the EHO as the oil reservior is seperate from the crankcase

A bad check valve on the breather.

no check valve on the EHO

100ccs of oil, as called for in the owner's manual, is too much

Run what Robin says to run, the oil is part of the cooling system, do not run it low.

1/2 full on the dipstick is not really low, just not chock-a-block full. I've been filling with about 1/3 cup of oil instead of 100cc and have had no problems with over heating, no excessive wear, no oil dripping from the air cleaner cover, and a plug that stays cleaner much longer.

I always use 100ml of oil as recommended... not 100cc, I use 30w in mine and 10w-30 mobil1 in my dads. Never had a problem w/oil in air filter or soot on back. We ride almost everyday in 100+ degree weather. No engine problems yet and we have both ridden about 10 gallons worth so far. Use the funnel with a on off twist valve and measurements on the side ... it makes it easy.

Back