eho35 oil problem

astring

Local time
1:45 PM
This has been a problem since I got my motor (on a GEBE system). I had leaks on my first 5 -10 miles Dennis from GEBE said it was due to too much oil so I drained some out. It ran pretty good for the next 80 or so miles but tonight after a short (2 mile) trip it was leaking again and smelled like burnt oil. Also there was oil coming out of the top spark plug cover. Any thoughts to help me out on this? I am thinking of draining a bit more oil but I do not want to go to low. I am using 10W40 grade oil, should I try SAE 30? any thoughts would help. Oh and I am driving it in Arizona which is 103 to 112 degrees lately.

first, get a turkey baster and remove all of the oil and refill with the exact amount recommended. take the cover off engine and check head bolts and spark plug. clean all oil off, run it without cover a couple of miles. when you get back you will find the leak.

10/40 OIL in those temps is a good idea. You want a lighter oil only at startup and in very cold temps.

This is a Echo 4 stroke? I don't think I would run the engine with the cover removed, It will fling oil everywhere. The oil level is important. The 10-40 should be good, those numbers just mean that the oil is 10 weight when it is cold and 40 as it gets hot, its how thick the oil is. If the engine is installed laid over you will have to remove all the oil and measure out the correct amount. if it is in the correct position then you just fill till the oil is at the filler hole, there should be a stick on the plug, if it touches the stick then it is OK. It will pump oil out if it is to high, that is a rocker cover not a spark plug cover. Have fun Dave

that is the robin Subaru 33cc engine.

OK I checked it out, at Stantons site. But yes everything I said, I am used to the Honda. Have fun, Dave

PS: I do like the OHC in the Honda, but the Iron liner in the Subaru makes it far better than the Honda.

Astring,
Going over my engine and parts manuals for the Subaru there do not seem to be any valve seals on this engine. Most likely, the guides ARE the seals. IF you had too much oil in the engine to begin with, what happens is 2-fold. One, the oil will start to foam. Not a good thing as the foam, instead of the FLUID oil is NOT lubricating the system properly. The second problem is that too much oil will cause a high pressure which can blow out seals/gaskets. I suspect that is what you are experiencing in that high head pressure blew out the valve cover gasket and/or the cam cover gasket. The smell is just the oil burning on the outside of the engine. The way this engine is designed, there is no way (barring an internal check ball failure) that the engine is getting any oil in the cylinder as it is made to run in ANY position. Hopefully it didn't blow the crank seals. Check the valve cover screws and make sure they are tight. Then try as, mentioned above, to remove and then refill the crankcase with slightly over 3oz.US of oil. MAKE SURE the engine is level; front to back and right to left.
Good luck. You may just need to replace the valve cover and/or cam cover gaskets if any at all.
Cheers, WC

I have less than 100 miles. I can't imagine that i would have to replace a gasket.

If the engine is sitting level, the oil should just reach the bottom of the hole. It is clearly stated in the owner's manual. I'm not sure how it could be overfilled after reading the instructions but if if somehow was overfilled, I believe engine damage could occur, no fault of the new motor itself.

If the engine is sitting level, the oil should just reach the bottom of the hole. It is clearly stated in the owner's manual. I'm not sure how it could be overfilled after reading the instructions but if if somehow was overfilled, I believe engine damage could occur, no fault of the new motor itself.

not quite level but close. Have you ever had an oil leak problem?

Back