Electra Cruiser to E bike

Wrench

Howzit Everyone,
I'm Learning, Never Built an E bike before.
I don't want to be a fool and buy a Cheep kit
I would like to use this Beach Cruiser
Have a $1,000 Budget
Any Quality Kit suggestions would be welcomed.
How Bad Ass could you make this cruiser for $1,000?
I have a million questions, I think I'll research this Forum First.
ALOHA Wrench
DSCF9385.JPG

CrazyDan

If you do this build, make a custom battery stacking cells in the space folks would make the gas tank, and make it look like one. I've been waiting for it, and I'm sure you have the skills to pull it off :D.
Edit: +1 if you have a gas cap you unscrew to expose the charge port.
Double edit: I see an internally geared hub... try a 3000w cyclone build from sick bike parts, It'll give you gears on your motor. It has everything but the batteries. $389 + shipping isn't bad, leaves you with just under $600 for batteries and brakes (that bike needs better brakes). You'll need to gear it to not overtorque the hub.

Last edited:

bakaneko

The key is speccing out the battery and speed requirements and then backwards work out the motor. You would want to keep the near max speed at 1C so if you want 1000W (~30mph) as max speed then you want atleast a 1kWh battery. If you want 2000W (~35mph) you want 2kWH and so forth. This preserves the health of the battery even if the battery is capable of more. Also, 72V is standard for a high power ebike but I think it is also possible to start out at 48V and then serial two of those batteries for 84V motor when you are ready for much more speed. So, start with max/cruising speed and then backwards work it out from there.

Wrench

That's the Kind of Input I'm looking for. Priceless
The Idea of stacking the batteries where the gas tank would be and making it look like a gas tank Awesome
I was not even thinking that way
On the right track 3,000w Cyclone
Yea need good brakes
Thanks guys that's a major push in the right direction.
I need to figure out how to stack batteries and get it right
This is all new to me
Looks like I've got a project. Time to do some more research
I

Wrench

I just told the old lady my plans. She got all excited and wants me to fix up her bike too. One thing at a time.
DSCF9386.JPG

Tony01

4000w system:
Leaf 1500w hub motor, smaller wheels are better for performance but 26 is ok. Cyclone is a planetary geared crank drive system with many moving parts. Not like a direct drive hub motor with only the wheel being the moving part.
ASI BAC800 controller. Read about it at Lunacycle, buy it from Alan Hu at ERT. Regen brake is the brake you will use 90% of the time. No regen braking with a cyclone.
Battery, multistar lipos from hobbyking, with a bluetooth bms. See fb group for multistars to be alerted of HK sales.
Torque arms. Like a coaster brake reaction arm and you need two.

Find more answers at endless sphere forums.

Old Busted Hotness

I don't know nothin about no electrics, but I know the Electra is a really nice bike, but porky. Mine weighed in at 48 pounds before I even started messing with it. Seems to me that extra 20 pounds would be a bit of a handicap.

bakaneko

That big frame equals possibility for a big battery (in frame and top tube)! One thing is that I know everyone here says don't buy eBay engines but imo this is only true for gas engines. The electric hubs are very standard and good.

I've been thinking about EVs and how their batteries last so many miles and years. True, they have great brand name cells with the latest chemistry but I think the key is that the battery is so large that for in city/regular commutes that an owner will do most of the time I mean they must use less than 0.5C power and like mere a few % each day of that battery. This means a full discharge cycle life span of 600-800 gets extended to like 2500-3500.

That being said, $1k is a bit small for a high power build. An entry level high power motor is $500-700 not including battery either hub or mid drive. Also, with the Cyclone, you gonna have to get rid of your chain guard, which might take away from the look of your bike. Cyclone isn't 3kW; its more 1.5-2kW.

I echo using LiPo. Ask others about this strategy buy with $1k I would get two 48V like 20-30aH batteries and then parallel them to make a 40-60aH battery. Once you get that inkling for a high power build (40mph+), you can serial those two batteries and buy a 72-120V motor system. This gives you the option. 48V should get u 30-32mph top speed.

Wrench

I don't know nothin about no electrics, but I know the Electra is a really nice bike, but porky. Mine weighed in at 48 pounds before I even started messing with it. Seems to me that extra 20 pounds would be a bit of a handicap.
She is all aluminum 25 pounds

Wrench

All ready thinking about the Batteries I need to stack to put in a fake tank.
Seems like 72v makes a big stack.
I would like to keep the fake tank the proper size.
Thinking 1/3 or 1/2 the batteries in the fake tank. The other 2/3 or 1/2 in the saddle bags
Of course I'll add hidden support for the bags
Hide electrical. Not sure quite where yet
What ya think sound like a possible solution for the batteries?
If you do this build, make a custom battery stacking cells in the space folks would make the gas tank, and make it look like one. I've been waiting for it, and I'm sure you have the skills to pull it off :D.
Edit: +1 if you have a gas cap you unscrew to expose the charge port.
Double edit: I see an internally geared hub... try a 3000w cyclone build from sick bike parts, It'll give you gears on your motor. It has everything but the batteries. $389 + shipping isn't bad, leaves you with just under $600 for batteries and brakes (that bike needs better brakes). You'll need to gear it to not overtorque the hub.