Electric Bike Project - Need Opinion

all wheel drive - interesting .... I have seen interesting pics with an elec hub up front and a 2 stroke within the frame driving the rear ... problem wqith that idea is that your bike was once in the 35lb range suddenly weights 100lbs ... with a rider, we're talking over 250lbs (conservative 150lb rider weight - you might way significantly more then that - I do) ... I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing but surely we have a weight issue at hand ? One of the ideals acheived by doing a "bicycle" is the light weight (and the associated agility and manueverability that comes with it) suiddenly your bike needs a parking spot cuz you can no longer pick it up with one hand and prop it up against a corner in the garage or up against the fence by your mower shed ? But keep the ideas coming - an AWD bike is certainly an idea with appeal ...

Like this ? :D

Attachments

• dualmotor.JPG
    dualmotor.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 318
Was in a bit of a hurry when i posted the picture above.

On the topic of dual motors.

It may look cool if you are into that style of machine, but on the practicle side it's not the best idea.

Instead of 2 motors, get 2 battery packs and use a bigger controller.

Having 2 wheel drive gives good traction, but makes the bike feel like a tank.

You could run 2 controllers, from 1 throttle, on the same battery pack, but the battery has to be able to sustain the amps.

... I enjoy hoping on them for a quick spin - they are too large to be comfortable on for a daily 16 mile commute so I am looking to sell them both and am considering other options ... besides the 100k mile Accord. If an electric kit can duplicate (or get close) to the performance of an entry level chinese two stroke and have enough range to get me to and from work on one charge - I want to hear about it - if it happens to be reasonably affordable and easy to live with - I will do it asap and am ready with my Visa in hand. The fact that it happens to be silent and nearly invisible (if your route wires neatly) means I can leave my paranoia of being watched by the local constabulary (and petty bike theives) at home ... those are good things.

Meer, a 32 mile commute is a tough one. It would be more feasible if you can find an outlet to charge your bike while at work. Remember you can set up the bike to pull out the battery and carry it somewhere to charge it. You could do the 16 mile one way with the following setup:

Get a front hubmotor kit, and get a 36V 20 amp-hour battery pack and two chargers. You will need either NiMH or LiPo batteries, lead acid will be too heavy and will degrade performance. One of these battery packs will take you 16 miles for sure, especially if you pedal a few turns every time you start out. Take the pack off the bike at work and charge it under your desk or in the lunch room somewhere. When you get home charge it again. It is not hard to set a bike up so you can just pull a battery pack out of a pannier and unplug it.

Put the kit on a decent multispeed mountain bike with a sturdy front fork with suspension. Don't use a cruiser, it has to be a bike that you can pedal well, and it has to fit you right. You need to pedal along but lightly and only when starting out. No Sweat! Suspension is very important for the distances you are talking about. You need 26" fat tires, no skinny tire bikes. For commuting it has to be a quality bike so it doesn't shed parts on the way home. If for some reason you forget to charge or otherwise the motor doesn't work, you can still ride it home. The hubmotors are heavier and slower than a bike without them but you can still ride it OK.

This is not cheap but it can pay for itself in gas savings compared to driving a car:

Good bike, $600
Hubmotor kit, $400
Good rack and pannier, $100
One 36V 20aH pack with charger: $500
Fenders, Lights, Good Rain Gear, $100

So if you can charge at work, $1700 gets you a commuting vehicle. You will have to replace the batteries eventually, maybe after a year of full time commuting for NiMH. I have heard LiPo battery packs are good for 1000 cycles so that would be two cycles per workday time 260 workdays, so about two years per pack.

You may want to look into a higher voltage. Most people who start with 36V want to go to 48V (or higher) as soon as they can for higher top speed and more range. For a commuter bike I would stick with 48V max, unless you are ready to upgrade to better quality brakes and components.

These kits are very reliable once you work out connector issues. I have been riding mine for 3 years with no problems, although I had to switch out the connectors to heavy duty trailer type connectors.

The only danger is the ever present longing for more voltage!

Fredie, keep in mind that gas motors and electric motors are not the same.

Size the motor to your needs vs your desire to hall ***.. you don't always need a big motor for good performance.

I rode to work this morning on a MTB and a 36v Brushless geared hub motor and a 9ah lithium pack.. the whole bike, battery included weighs in at 35 lbs ! on 500w it climbs well and will cruise at 35 km/h on the flats.. 1200 $

In contrast.

My norco chaos with 72v 20ah lithium, and dual suspension aluminum frame weighs in at 90 lbs !!!!! yes.. it will go alot faster but it's no joy to pedal. 3500 $ + !

My commute is 16 or 17 miles total and I'm sorry if that was not properly represented. Although the 2 stroke machines I've built worked out and are fun for quick jaunts (I have 2 of them) - the position of their motors within the frame require a significantly sized bike - bigger then the 17 or 19 inch Giant I would normally ride/pedal. I want to save a little at the pump and entertain myself at the same time so I want to use a powered bike on my daily commute to work 5 days a week. My question is ... can an electric kit be made to perform as good (or close to) the typical entry level chinese 2 stroke kits in terms of power/speed and have a crusining range of AT LEAST enough to cover my 16 mile commute on one charge. And if an electric kit can do this - can it be done "affordably" (being a relative term - I understand) ? From what I'm gathering so far - perhaps a 500 or 600 watt hub motor on 48V's might do this ? Any tips or suggestions on a ow priced source ? Big difference between a BL or BD ? I realize one is much stronger while the other is much more efficient but given the not very romantic role of being a commuter - how significant are these factors ? In the long run - is it the same procedure to tinker and hop-up a BD and a BL or will one be more suitable than the other ? Not that I will do anything like what I'm seeing on these boards but it would be nice in case I decide to ?

You can get 16 miles out of a 36V 20aH battery pack. With a standard 26" hubmotor wheel kit, the speed will be about 17mph which is not as fast as a typical 2 stroke. 48V 20aH will be a little faster, maybe closer to 20mph.

I have not been shopping for an electric bike for a while so I don't really know which is better, brushed or brushless, but I would guess that brushless is probably better. Either one will work. Maybe someone else has more experience with both than me. I did read a thread on another board where you can upgrade the brushed 36V Wilderness Energy to 48V with no modifications, just plug it right in. I'm not sure how else to modify or tweak things other than getting lighter batteries with more amp Hours.

Other sources of info:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=21
http://visforvoltage.org/forums/electric-rides/bicycles-and-pedelecs
http://electricrider.com/parts/motors.htm
http://www.wildernessenergy.com/

There are probably more suppliers, I have not been looking for a new bike, so I am out of the loop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back