Electric bikes in florida

dougsr.874

Local time
9:05 AM
I've done a lot of searching the Fl. Statues but can't seem to find exactly what I need.....I just spoke to a Deputy Sheriff & he state's that even a electric bike must have a drivers licenses & register same....I have printed out 316.003 para 2....but I need to know where to find the statue that says directly that you dont need a license etc for electric

I've done a lot of searching the Fl. Statues but can't seem to find exactly what I need.....I just spoke to a Deputy Sheriff & he state's that even a electric bike must have a drivers licenses & register same....I have printed out 316.003 para 2....but I need to know where to find the statue that says directly that you dont need a license etc for electric

Drivers license chapter ..
322.01(27) “Motor vehicle” means any self-propelled vehicle, including a motor vehicle combination, not operated upon rails or guideway, excluding vehicles moved solely by human power, motorized wheelchairs, and motorized bicycles as defined in s. 316.003.

316.003(2) BICYCLE.—Every vehicle propelled solely by human power, and every motorized bicycle propelled by a combination of human power and an electric helper motor capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of not more than 20 miles per hour on level ground upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels, and including any device generally recognized as a bicycle though equipped with two front or two rear wheels. The term does not include such a vehicle with a seat height of no more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position or a scooter or similar device. No person under the age of 16 may operate or ride upon a motorized bicycle.

The statutes say directly that a bicycle with an electric motor (as long as it conforms to the statutory definition of a(n) electric bicycle, with operable pedals and cannot travel more than 20 mph) is not a motor vehicle and therefore does not require a drivers license
If it's not a motor vehicle and is a bicycle, you do not need a drivers license.
What makes this sheriffs Deputy think that it is a motor vehicle?
What statute is he using to say it is a motor vehicle.
Do you have a name and/or phone number for this particular sheriff and/or his office?

Last edited:
Thx for the help...after the deputy left my house I called to speak with the Supervisor, & the supevisior actually called me back...said he would research it & let me know....a little later he called me back & said that I was right & the first deputy was wrong...can you believe it.....the supervisor came to my home & gave me a copy of a booklet that apparently each deputy carries...and it verifies that you don't need a license for electrics...So problem SOLVED... cant believe that the Supervisor was so helpful....and he had a very nice looking female deputy with him which made it a lot more ineresting....YOu never get to old to look...

This is the up side to having laws and procedures in place. It keeps some **** wad cop from enforcing their own personal interpretation of the law. One should carry copies of these laws with them for just such instances as yours.

Back