Electric Chopper project "Panther"

I have a problem however. The throttle unit was the only piece I didn't get with the scooter (broken). I know that it must be a potentiometer but what resistance and current handling?

Depends on the controller. 10K is a common value. Current handling generally doesn't matter (very low power levels.)

Also anybody who knows about scooters what would you expect my full throttle rpm to be? Can I bypass the power controller at full speed to just dump 24Volts directly to the motor?

If you have a chopper controller, and are driving a brushed motor, then you can connect them to the batteries directly. Do NOT do this unless the motor is mounted - the startup torque can tear the leads off. An easier way to do this is to use a bench supply and slowly crank up the voltage to the battery voltage. Less torque that way.

electric motors will tolerate a wide range of volts/amps over and under their spec'ed rating.

wheelchair motors are rated very conservatively, i bet you could hook up an alltrax 200 amp controller to that thing and really make it cook ! (it will wear the brushes faster.. but hey... live for the moment ! hehe )

Throttles come in 2 flavors .. Pot or Hall.. Pot throttles can be had for aprox 40 $.. the Hall throttles are cheaper at 10 to 20 $ . they usually regulate a 1 to 5v signal for the controller.

Thanks I actually managed to get the service manual for the controller and it all seems great except for the fact that the controller has a pre-programmed top speed and rate of acceleration. I have also been told that it should have a deceleration rate as well but since I am planning to use a BMX hub as a jackshaft I won't have to worry about that.

What do you think my chances are of getting it re-programmed for MAX values for top end and acceleration?

Gary

My Thread in the e-bike section

http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=9643

did not seem like the approprite place for a build thread so I am continuing here.

I have two big 12V 37 AH batteries to carry around so I am building some aluminum panniers similar to these:

http://rtw.xtz660.googlepages.com/alluboxes

Aluminum stock for panniers.JPG

Layout complete and fouxleatherstuff.jpg

pix as progression warrants.

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Wotta GAP!

WOW. It has been 8 MONTHS since I posted here because life intruded on my ability to do any projects. I have had no space to work or access to any of my tools or supplies. I am happy to say that this situation has finally changed for the better. I have had most of the parts that I need for this project for almost a year (Stored away) but I now have a workspace and access to my tools and stuff :D

When I began this project gas was getting a bit expensive then of course it went through the roof and now it is cheaper than it has been in years. Still gasoline is going the way of the Dodo so onward and upwards!

I have this cute little fantasy where I ride from where I live in Langley BC to Burnaby just outside of Vancouver (about 40 KM or 25 miles) with enough power left to charge up my RC airplane LiPo batteries from my 37 Ah SLA bike system for a few flights and am still able to ride home.

I kind of doubt I'll ever get mileage that good but here in the Lower Mainland we can take our bikes on the buses and overhead trains (Skytrain of you are "in the know").

Wish me luck I am "back on board". :D

Nice project. I hope your electric bike shows up some of the gas engines here! If you are worried about your controller, you can get another one. If you are savvy in electronics, or know someone who is, then maybe they could build you a simple controller. You can use or own POT or throttle control of your choice.

I'm designing a controller now because I plan on going Hybrid in the future. It would consist of a TL594 PWM circuit, driving FOUR 120A MOSFETS (paralleled) on a heatsink (overkill) to run the motor.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NTY100N10-D.PDF - MOSFET Datasheet
http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/TL594-D.PDF - PWM controller IC chip.

The way PWM works is it gives the motor short or long pulses of the full voltage to change speed without wasting energy. I'd build one for you, but I'm still designing mine and it's not finished. I'll keep in touch.

Have fun with your Project!
ZnsaneRyder

Back