Electric front and friction rear?

I had a schwinn meridian China Wal-Mart bike with an old friction drive old Sears free spirit and a 24v hub motor and road it for years. 3 sets of 12v12amp batteries warn out then lost it to a home fire. I'm trying to get another one cause it works great. I'm an old dude now and need three wheels. 25 mph on gas power and 20 when both working together for hills. Works fine. Tom

No need to worry about syncing the two drives the electric will either freewheel or drive dependent on how much throttle is given, and the newer batteries are lite the motor not so much.

No need to worry about syncing the two drives the electric will either freewheel or drive dependent on how much throttle is given, and the newer batteries are lite the motor not so much.

It's a misconception by many, even skilled tradesmen,
that two engines haves to be carefully synchronized.

They don't, unless each engine drives their own rear wheel.

I ran a bike with an engine on each wheel.

No synch problem whatsoever.

I'm building a twin-engine bike.

Both engines will drive the rear wheel.

With freewheeling sprockets.

No synch problem anticipated.

I had a schwinn meridian China Wal-Mart bike with an old friction drive old Sears free spirit and a 24v hub motor and road it for years. 3 sets of 12v12amp batteries warn out then lost it to a home fire. I'm trying to get another one cause it works great. I'm an old dude now and need three wheels. 25 mph on gas power and 20 when both working together for hills. Works fine. Tom
I have a 24v rear drive trike that runs a solid 8 mph. I put a Bumble Bee friction drive on the front wheel.... bumped the speed up to about 20 mph.
My handlebars are kinda "busy": 2 throttle controls, front brake lever, lever to disengage the gas front drive. (lifts the motor/drive roller off th fon wheel)
FYI------ Trikes WILL tip over!!!!! ya gotta learn to lean (shift your weight) into the turn) After that you can keep the shiny side up!!! :rolleyes:

A four wheel drive truck I believe in the old days on 4 high was the back tires spun faster than the front, think my dad told me at higher speeds you want to make sure the back wheel is pushing faster than the front wheel is to help on turning control and suspension issues, in 4 low they spin at the same rate to increase straight line stability and increase low end torque, nowadays they are all computerized and tell each tire how much to spin so they don't lose traction as first one tire hits a slick spots then another. So I guess what I am trying to say is if you use both front and rear drive at high speed try to make sure the back wheel is spinning faster than the front wheel.

Back