Electric Fuel pumps

Local time
6:20 AM
I'm exploring all options and right now I'm trying to figure out if I can use an electric fuel pump with the carburetor on the gxh50. I know that the electric pumps pump way more fuel than is necessary and at higher pressure (maybe I can find a low pressure pump at the auto parts store). Power for the pump isn't a problem as I have 15 pounds worth of a sla battery to power my headlights:cry:. So the question is, can I use an electric fuel pump or will it blow a gasket, flood the carb, etc.? Maybe this is a rode I shouldn't go down, but I commute 100 miles a day and I'm tired of filling up once on the way to work and once on the way home. I refuse to mount my 1 gallon tank above the motor...I just think its too high and honestly, I'm not sure I can safely secure it. I've even considered hooking the pump up to a swtich and periodically pumping fuel from a rack mounted tank to the the tank on the engine...

I looked at the post started by sexwaxsurfer and found the mechanical "hockey puck" pump intriguing. I'd be very happy to use it, but nobody seems to be able to confirm how exactly it (the pump) ties in with everything and I can't afford to take the risk it won't work. Speaking of mechanical pumps, is it possible that they too can pump too much fuel to the carb? Any other suggestions?

Hope u solve your problem as there is very little feedback from ppl that relocate their tank to BELOW carby height......i'm currently going down the route of a diaphram carby & am waiting for a new shipment to arrive from bicycle-engines.com.
spx_file002.jpg

Use the pump to fill a header tank. Manual operation to shut if off once header tank is full.

I carry spare fuel with me in a 30 oz MSR fuel bottle, but that still requires that I stop and fill my tank...too much work too often, plus its a time issue.

I did find a low pressure fuel pump at partsamerica.com (1.5-4 psi) that is designed for carbs. Its a bit more than I wanted to spend so I'll probably keep looking ($43).

Fuel Pump For Gxh50

My engine came with a hockey puck pump that will run off the crankcase pulses.

Honda provides it for the engines that come without a tank.

I might use it and a larger single tank if I had your need.

Jim

Jim, Have you actually hooked it up yet? I checked some service manuals and yes it does run off the crankcase pulses, but I'm not sure that putting a T in the line would provide sufficient pressure as that would contsitute a great big leak as far as the pump is concerned...thoughts?

Hocky Puck Pump

No I have not tried it as I haven't needed to use it. I am still looking for a round aluminum tank for behind the deat and might have to use it then.

I did check the passages in the air cleaner for the crankcase vent line. It looks to be fairly restricted, thus offer a good amount of back pressure to the pump. the pump of course has a vent line from the other side of the pumping diaphragm. It is protected by a bronze sientered filter insert.

I think if a restricter was required to make the pump operate, it would have been included. Then again instructions should have been included as well

Honda seems to be short of technical information on line. Appears they want you to have to go to a dealer?

Jim

do you suppose that if necessary the line from the crankcase can be run straight to the pump thereby completely bypassing the air filter without causing problems?

little pump

Hi I have not got mine figured out either, but maybe the line goes thru the pump, then into the airfilter?

BTW I think an electric pump is definately overkill, why not mount the peanut, and plumb it into the tank like I did on two gebes?

IF you think you want to go electric, ONLY use it as a transfer pump, you you'll not have to worry about overpowering your float needle in the carb.

Mike

Back