Electric Hub Motors ... ???

vja4Him

Local time
11:58 AM
I'm really a dummy when it comes to anything mechanical or electrical! If I understand correctly, if I buy the electric hub motor for my Electra Townie, I will no longer have the gears that came with my bicycle available for pedaling?

I need to keep the gears that came with my bicycle, so I can still ride my bicycle with no motor as often as possible. I need the exercise and enjoy riding, but also need to commute to various job assignments where there is no bus service, and too far for me to pedal (10-15 miles each way).

I want to get something that will last many years, and allow me to attain speeds of at least a good solid 35mph (45mph would be better, so I could ride on the country roads where the speed limit is between 45-55mph), with my weight, plus groceries (will not be riding fast with groceries!!!, only around 10mph then!).

When I go to work, my weight is around 210, plus my large backpack, which normally weighs around 15 pounds. Groceries will add another 15 pounds, sometimes more ....

So, I need a good quality motor that will easily carry over 250 pounds, reliable, effecient, long lasting ..... I've been checking around on different websites, but am still a bit overwhelmed ... !!! Help please ... !!!! Thanks!

Your top speed is unrealistic. Federal regs and thus state regs top out at 20 for electric assist. Of course you can do whatever you want but an electra townie would not be my first choice for even going that fast.

However you can use a hub motor in conjunction with your current gearing setup but not so that it will operate your gearing. Electric motors are either wound for torque or speed or in between and are limited in that fashion. Any of the stock kits you see will only net you up to 20 mph and that for a short time until the batteries lose power.

To achieve your goals you probably are looking at a gas engine run through a gearing system. Also considered illegal. Welcome to the world of motor assist where you must learn to bend like the willow......

Licensing My Bicycle As A Moped ... ???

What about licensing my bike as a moped? I don't mind doing that. I would really like to get more than 20mph. Even 30mph would be much better! I'm not going to be riding at high speeds for great distances, most likely one or two miles at top speed. And once I get to work I can charge the battery up.

Your top speed is unrealistic. Federal regs and thus state regs top out at 20 for electric assist. Of course you can do whatever you want but an electra townie would not be my first choice for even going that fast.

However you can use a hub motor in conjunction with your current gearing setup but not so that it will operate your gearing. Electric motors are either wound for torque or speed or in between and are limited in that fashion. Any of the stock kits you see will only net you up to 20 mph and that for a short time until the batteries lose power.

To achieve your goals you probably are looking at a gas engine run through a gearing system. Also considered illegal. Welcome to the world of motor assist where you must learn to bend like the willow......

Moped License for a Bicycle ... ???

true -- it would be very hard to find that kind of speed with elect

in Calif -- mophead --- M-2 drivers license -- gas -- should be legal to

ride that THING

What does it take to get a moped license for a bicycle? Will I need to have brake lights, tail lights, head lights, turn signals and an electric horn as well?

So you're a dummy and unrealistic about speed and maintaining, and you want years of reliability.

Buy a 150cc Vespa scooter and maintain it religiously. A motorized or electric bicycle is not the answer for you.

Which Electric Motor for my Townie ... ???

So you're a dummy and unrealistic about speed and maintaining, and you want years of reliability.

Buy a 150cc Vespa scooter and maintain it religiously. A motorized or electric bicycle is not the answer for you.

A scooter is not the answer for me ... I need the exercise from riding my bicycle, and besides, I enjoy riding ... My boys and I ride around town often. It's just a little too difficult to ride long distance .... With several physical and medical issues, I'm limited with pedaling.

I can only average about six to seven mph when pedaling around town. Looks like I will probably go with an electric that will get me 25-30 mph. Now, to decide which motor system to install on my Townie ... ???

A scooter is not the answer for me ... I need the exercise from riding my bicycle, and besides, I enjoy riding ... My boys and I ride around town often. It's just a little too difficult to ride long distance .... With several physical and medical issues, I'm limited with pedaling.

I can only average about six to seven mph when pedaling around town. Looks like I will probably go with an electric that will get me 25-30 mph. Now, to decide which motor system to install on my Townie ... ???

The biggest problem that I see is the batteries. The more you weigh and the higher the speed you travel, the faster the batteries will run down. There are some great battery choices that would give you the mileage, but not at those speeds. Batteries to give you longer range could run you as much as 500 to 1000 dollars. I first was interested in going electric until I really weighed the options and the batteries were the reason I went with gas.

Gas or Batteries ... ???

The biggest problem that I see is the batteries. The more you weigh and the higher the speed you travel, the faster the batteries will run down. There are some great battery choices that would give you the mileage, but not at those speeds. Batteries to give you longer range could run you as much as 500 to 1000 dollars. I first was interested in going electric until I really weighed the options and the batteries were the reason I went with gas.

In the long run, I think batteries or gas would cost about the same ... ??? Has anyone figured that out in dollars .... I estimated, and it seems like it's pretty close ....

Back