Electric Micargi 7 Speed Cruiser

Here are some pics of the Electric Micargi 7 Speed Cruiser that Blaze helped me build. It was an easy build except that the charger that shipped with the 36 Volt, 500 Watt, electric hub kit came wired backwards. We blew the charger twice before we figured out it was wired wrong. Luckily, Blaze isn't afraid to re-wire stuff then plug it into a wall :D Actually, now that I think about it, it was my charger and my wall, so I guess I was the one being brave that day.

We mounted the speed controller under the rear rack and moved the gear changer to the left side of the handlebars to make room for the throttle. I liked the original red front rim, so I respoked the electric hub to the original rim, and spray painted the hub and spokes gloss black to match the rear tire. If I had it to do over again, I would just paint the new rim red because after only a few days, the red paint is already rubbing off the original rim. That will save you about 5 hours and the huge headache of truing up the rim spoke by painful spoke.

I used three 12V 18AH batteries and the bike will go 15 miles on one charge with a top speed of 20 - 22 MPH (depending on slightly up or down hill). I got really good deals through the internet on batteries, the bike, accessories, and the hub kit. All in all, I guess it cost about $800.

It bears an uncomfortable resemblance to Pee Wee Herman's bike, but nobody told me that until after I put it all together, and I am too lazy to take it all apart to paint the thing, so I guess I'll just have to live with it. After all, it's not like I am trying to pick up ladies on it, and now it just has that much more character.

Enjoy the pics. If you have any questions on the build, just let me know.

Tahiti Back Left Upload.JPG

Tahiti Front Right Upload.JPG

Tahiti Right Side Upload.JPG

Tahiti Hub Upload.JPG

Tahiti Speed Controller Upload.JPG

Very nice build, thanks for sharing it with us. I like the color and I don't think it looks anything like PeeWee's bike.

I love the paint job. Beautiful.

You know,with a Happy Time and like a 30 tooth sprocket in back you can make an amazing Hybrid. Start off electric,Happy Time take over. When it takes over your motor up front would charge your batteries.

I'm only saying this cause it would look amazing on that.

Beautiful! Quiet like ninja. Strong like samari. I need a pair of saddlebags like yours. Where did you find them? Great build!

I got the saddle bags, mirrors, front light, and kickstand from niagaracycle.com. They have a really good selection of accessories and tend to be a couple bucks cheaper than most of the places I found. They have those really cool old school speedometers, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work with my bike since the electric hub has to be torqued down so tightly on the front tire. So, I donated it to my roommate's son's motored Schwinn OCC Chopper. It works really well and looks great on the choppers. The needle bounces a lot right out of the box, but smooths out after it gets worn in a little. Here's a pic of the speedo.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5591&d=1206913410

Back