electric or gasoline

jawnn

Local time
9:50 PM
What are the pros and cons of each?

Some peopel tell me that electric will burn out, but I know some one that builds electric tadpole trikes with no problem.

electric's main holdback is available battery technology
...limited range on cheap batts, good batts = big $$$
I have 500+ miles on the electric trike and all it gets used for is taking my 5yr old granddaughter to school (approx 4 miles each way)
it's range is to small for any longer trips

hello there going to be motor biking buddy

this has been discussed many times over
you should be able to find a lot said through the search engine (on site)

but -- I must say -- for my long hauls -- I like the gas models

as I ride that motor bike THING

Cons: Somewhat limited range and initial expense

An acquaintance of mine has this:
http://www.x-tremescooters.com/electric_bicycles/xb300li/xb300li.html
and is quite happy with it. He contends range is no problem for his use though it should be noted that he lives in a small college town and everything, work, shopping, etc., is contained within a mile of two in all directions.

I've ridden it and it is quite nice and I like the fact that it behaves like a decent bicycle.
He said he paid 800 + 100 shipping and another 50 towards an upgrade on the crankset.

Having both gas and electric , I would never go electric unless it was at least 36 volts and I had the extra $500 for good batteries. Sure it's good to go to the store or whatever but nothing sucks more than using the bike for an hour and charging it for another 5 hours.
Electric sucks in the cold too, giving you half the distance of summer use. Getting home on a dead battery is no fun.

Overall, batteries are too expensive. That's all there is to it. Well, I guess there's more to it, like batteries just plain suck. Every charge will store less and less voltage. And if you don't keep Li-Ions topped off, you will significantly take a chunk outta your storage (i.e. - range).

The question should really be... hydrogen or gasoline?

no reason to pull back now -- straight shot

batteries just plain suck

just putting it out there -- straight shot

many if not MOST will never be truly happy with a battery MB set up

most riders want to start out with some power
and end up with some power

who would want to start out with power
and then into the ride as THINGS are being so enjoyed
MB time is being cut short becase batteries are fading out
takes a special (elect) loving type person to put up with this

remember if with gas
we can ride all day and all night
you won't see any elect MB's up top the old mountain

as we ride those things

I think Ebikes have their place. I know people who find they suit their needs.

My first interest in MBs was going toward electric but it's not there yet for what I wanted. If and when the tech changes I'll be first in line for electric, no lost love for ICE's.

Why stop with one or the other,, we build MBs and Trikes with both. If you chronic Asama like me brother you need the electric to get engine started.

Bill

Back