electric start "silver bullet train" engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wonder how much power id loose if I go ahead and build heavy duty wheels... I do have some lighter rims but the spoke holes will be small compared to whats on this mopee/worksman hubs
When I upgraded to a nuvinci hub and opted for 12 gauge spokes I had to drill the holes on my stock rim to accept the larger nipples, zero problems with it but they are steel so that has some leeway.

i think this has 11gauge ! but maybe 12 lol the worksman rims i have are ready to go and even the spokes may work.. they did not have the drum hubs which i picked up later and the rear came off of a moped.. all the hardships taken care of! ive always felt the drivline that comes with these kits was the weak point.. just seems so rigged and my goal was to make it almost seem like it was made for it... anyway we all deal with that issue lol the lighter SunRingle Mammoth II rims i have have the eyelets so dont think drilling them out is an option...

i think this has 11gauge ! but maybe 12 lol the worksman rims i have are ready to go and even the spokes may work.. they did not have the drum hubs which i picked up later and the rear came off of a moped.. all the hardships taken care of! ive always felt the drivline that comes with these kits was the weak point.. just seems so rigged and my goal was to make it almost seem like it was made for it... anyway we all deal with that issue lol the lighter SunRingle Mammoth II rims i have have the eyelets so dont think drilling them out is an option...
A really tiny lathe and a whole lot of patience with a side of 36 spoke nipples. I hear make-up can make your eyes look bigger, maybe if you do 'em right you'll trick the nipples into thinking they're the right size for the job.

haha well that may be all fine and dandy until the nipples realize they have been TRICKED! and they give ole Murphy a call while your burnin down the road at 40mph!

it definitely looks sweet, but how would i go about finding parts to repair it if the manufacturer doesn't make them? how could i find the engine specs and a comparable engine for parts? im not saying it doesnt look great, that looks absolutely fantastic, but you know, when i got a scooter from china the thing looked great too. and it rode great! for a month, then over the total of 6 months died a terrible death. starter died, kickstarter snapped, frame bent then snapped, (after fixing with piping and duct tape) and after using an impact wrench to start it, the engine eventually siezed! and it had oil and proper maintenance! i just really find it hard to trust a brand with no parts for its products, so i thought if i could find an engine that has almost identical parts, or multiple engines that happen to have parts that fit, then this could be a good engine, WITH parts availability. is this engine based on any other engine? like the grubee skyhawk is based on the russian d-8?
I know they make parts and sell them separate because I just saw them the other day. I forgot the website but I might remember what were you looking to replace.

Everyone wants to build the ultimate bike first time out.
As well you should, just start with a good bike and kit and use real tools to asseble it, not an adjustable wrench!
~$550,
Just put a kit together on a cheap bike and ride already!
It doesn't have to be complicated, so don't make it that way. It is a bicycle.
56517-7e03643b2e1be7d626199e25db9efef0.jpg

$20 bike from the buy/sell/trade ads.
$60 48cc motor from the same
4 hours of assembly and making sure everything is lubricated, adjusted and works
Priceless! 30mph of fun for over a hundred miles on a tank.
Priceless! 30mph of fun for over a hundred YARDS before you have to start 'fixing' things!
The thing is crap parts will always be crap parts, you can't 'fix' crap.
I am supersized you recommend that route Steve, I spend ~$30 just 'bullet proofing' my wheels and you figure $20 for a bike?

Last edited:
Perhaps You can't fix crap but you can sure talk it, and to think it only took you 9 months to spit it out. Genius.

Perhaps You can't fix crap but you can sure talk it, and to think it only took you 9 months to spit it out. Genius.
Maybe he was choking on blood, give him a chance man he's just trying to keep up.

I am getting tired of waiting for that wheelchair ramp thing though... I need it to get my bike into the building..

Just got BT80 couple of weeks ago.... I can tell you that my pull start was a joke, I think it said in the instruction manual that the pull start must be operated with care! I personally have had no problem with the electric start, Yet! But just wanted to know that the pull start backup option was operational and able to at least start the bike. As suggested in the manual pulled very lightly on the pull start as to engage the pull start system to the engine could feel it bite then pulled firmly just enough to pull the engine over a couple of times it felt awful and grated a couple of pulls later and started to slip when trying to turn engine until it went all together and would only engage if you turned the engine over with the electric powered starting motor!? Kinnda defeats the object but after successfully starting the engine only twice it now pulls out completely without engaging at all. So removed pull start casing and was greeted by little bits of shaved white / cream plastic and noticed that the part that engages with 1 of 4 points on the end of the crankshaft / starter motor gear assembly (1 way / free wheel incorporated in its design) which had very sharp edges had simply shaved successive slices of plastic! yes you heard me right simply little plastic ridges that should normally engage with the sharp edges under force simply shaved of all the plastic that would normally engage pull start to engine was simply shaved away until nothing remained to engage with. meaning the pull start just pulled out to its limit and wound back in again without doing anything! Useless I got mine from petrol scooter.co.uk will be contacting to let them know I mean I know its intended as a secondary or backup starting system but should at least work! otherwise might as well just left it off saved making the BT80 even wider than it should be and could have had a lever or switch to lock the centrifugal clutch so bike could be bump started little rough with out clutch but viable (easier if using a stand that lifts the back wheel free of the ground), could be made so that the lever / switch disengages once the engine is starts up gets up to speed thus allowing the centrifugal clutch to become un locked and function normally again once the bike is started. Will let people know how I get on I am using the 48 teeth sprocket that came supplied with the kit even though the manual states a 44 tooth. Pulls away ok from standing start but tops out at around 30 mph 33 if ya make her scream that's with 29inch 700c wheels / tyres. I have a 48, 44, 36, 32 tooth rear sprockets and can tell you that when I tried with the 36 tooth it struggled but was still running in at that time with running in oil mix & run in restrictions it reached a max of 37.4 mph with slight rear wind and I weigh around 11 stone. A head wind took severe penalty's on this top speed. This was all stock on the same bike and wheels tyres ect my old 66cc china girl (expansion chamber exhaust, HP carb, 1mm skimmed of head slight increase to compression & 32 tooth rear sprocket) hit 47 mph in slightly favorable wind conditions! I got 4500 hard miles with that config before piston wrist pin bearing disintegrated and the 9 HSS rollers destroyed my piston and rings and to lesser extent the cylinder and ports. Was the 40mm stroke and 40mm intake stud spacing & type B high hole piston. Not sure whats inside BT80 only removed pull start cover so far. Also NT type carb that came with kit leaked from float bowl gasket! I switched it out for the speed carb that came with my old china girl. Fixed leak but thin k I may have lost a slight bit of top end power & engine RPM. Don't know if what the jetting is stock for the BT80 carb or the speed carb if anyone can help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back