Electric Starter for honda gx35 engine

MHSengineering

Local time
11:32 AM
I am part of a group at Mishawaka High School looking to enter the Super Mileage Challenge car competition. The engine on our car is a Honda GX35. We have encountered a problem however, because the car's driver compartment is too small to pull start the engine and we have found it necessary to put an electric starter on the engine. Does anyone know any starter kits that would be compatible with the engine or how to convert it into electric start?

I am part of a group at Mishawaka High School looking to enter the Super Mileage Challenge car competition. The engine on our car is a Honda GX35. We have encountered a problem however, because the car's driver compartment is too small to pull start the engine and we have found it necessary to put an electric starter on the engine. Does anyone know any starter kits that would be compatible with the engine or how to convert it into electric start?
Can you start it with a drill? That could fit on your lap lol..

Hey, wonderful endevour!
Weight is everything, and simple is always better. Put a longer starter cord on the motor and route it to where it is convenient to pull. An example would be if the motor is in the rear, run the pull cord to the front dash or overhead where the driver has strength and room to pull towards himself. Use small plastic pulleys to reduce friction on the corners.

Even with a lithium battery an electric starter is a lot of weight and compilation.

Last edited:
I think you need to provide a picture or design sketch of the car for folks here to give you the best assessment. I second what Steve said due to weight and also reliability.

I think you need to provide a picture or design sketch of the car for folks here to give you the best assessment. I second what Steve said due to weight and also reliability.
I'll third it, i was thinking of what a lawnmower rope basically does only probably more complicated as to route it to the cab, again having a basic sketch is useful as you pointed out. My only reserve was that I assumed they would have though about a longer rope and dismissed it (maybe not enough arm room in the cab to actually give a 1-2 foot yank...)

I would be more interested in the rules, I mean does the starting unit have to be on board and does starting have to be from inside the vehicle or even by the operator, if I remember right they used to get out a big stick from the trunk, walk to the front of the car and jamb it in there and crank away..

Google "electric start conversion Honda GX35 engine", there are a couple of interesting links, one someone is discussing an electric start for an RC controlled airplane, another for a electric start go kart.

As the original poster stated, they are wanting an electric start because the cockpit is too small for a pull start. There was no mention of wanting a rope pull start or the weight factor.

As the original poster stated, they are wanting an electric start because the cockpit is too small for a pull start. There was no mention of wanting a rope pull start or the weight factor.

Yes, yes. But believe me while the OP might seem a smart high schooler, sometimes at that age they lack the thoroughness and attention to detail that older folks like us might possess. We might see something he does not if pictures or a sketch is provided.

Back