Electric Starter for Honda GX50

mpate

Local time
3:29 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to see if maybe someone knew of an electric starter for the newer Honda GX50 engine. I run these powerheads on small outboards and would love to have the ability to have a starter for these systems. I know they make an inline start for 2 cycle systems that go under the pull start, but I have yet to see anything for the 4 stroke models. Thanks for any input you may have.

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to see if maybe someone knew of an electric starter for the newer Honda GX50 engine. I run these powerheads on small outboards and would love to have the ability to have a starter for these systems. I know they make an inline start for 2 cycle systems that go under the pull start, but I have yet to see anything for the 4 stroke models. Thanks for any input you may have.
With small cc engines weight is the enemy. So unless you're a lite weight and a flat lander an electric start isn't a good thing. The exception can be if you at least have a shift kit or using a 3 speed IGH fixed hub to drive a left side wheel sprocket.

Yamaha made the SR400 come back for a few years, loved the bike and wanted one. The deal killer was no electric start, only kick. Damn nice bike and were talking 2015 to 2020 models here.

Totally unnecessary, the GX50 is very easy starting, one pull.
Yes indeed, totally unnecessary - same with the GX35 - BUT, would be nice when pulling away from the 711/Circle K/grocery store/or any public parking area - & especially the PUB>>!!

Hi Everyone,

Elec starters on many small engines only turn the engine over at 300 rpm, pull start can spin it 600 rpm.
I spent $300 to install a starter flywheel, starter and battery on my snowmobile only to find it starts easier by the pull rope for that reason.
If the engine is set up properly it will fire the first time the piston goes over the top.
kick start isn't as good as pull start but should still be fine.

There are about 3 variations of electric starters on trimmers from china and india, they don't weigh much more than the stock recoil starter and all of them I have seen retain the pull cord. The guts of it are probably shared with some random chinese mini battery drill for instance so its not adding that much weight.

Someone would ahve to buy a batch of them though as nobody is selling them direct only on a trimmer. .... (so I mean you can get one for about $150 take it off the trimmer and put a standard recoil back on the trimmer so you cans still use it)

Back