Electrical hook up help needed

artmaker

Local time
12:40 PM
SO my first build from scratch, winding down to the finish, and now I'm utterly confused.

The CDI. It has a red and black wire. The motor has a red and black wire. Plugged those in red to red, black to black, plugs are nice and snug.
BUT... then there is the kill switch. Two wires come from the throttle handle. A green one and a black one. They both seem to have the same little plug ends, but those fall right out of the female and of the plugs on the CDI. I'm just guessing it's also black to black, and then green to red???? But again, they don't stay in the plug holes. Am I suppose to crimp them in place? Tape? What?
So I got on live chat where I bought this motor at https://www.bicycle-engines.com/ And so far they have been absolutely fantastic. Chat is always right on it, and very patient to put up with my endless stuckness. But this time? Not so much.
She sent me to a diagram Here which has me even MORE confused. First their colors are vastly different than mine. AND they show wires being spliced into the wires from the motor? SPLICED? Serioiusly? WHY would they come with little plug ends then? Also their diagram shows a ground wire. I don't seem to have one.

Lastly, the white wire coming out of the motor, their instructions, AND a few youtube videos all show it as a once upon a time used wire, not anymore. Either cut it off or cap it and forget it. Curious what it was intended for? A light perhaps? I won't use it, battery power lights are fine. Just curious.

Hook the kill switch wires up backwards and the switch will work opposite. Up should be run and down is stop
I think kill switch green goes to engine black (ground) and kill switch black goes to engine red. (Usually Blue)

They show it spliced in the diagram but you got plugs
You say your male plugs are too small and fall out of the female plugs? Try squishing down the female plugs a little so the male plugs fit tight. Ya might have to change the male plugs. That's if ya like plugs. Or just splice em together and use small wire nuts and tape

Black wire from the engine is ground and is grounded to the engine then the engine is grounded to the bike frame. You can also run the
ground green wire from the kill switch to the frame

The white wire was suppose to be used with a rectifier to charge a small battery to have lights. But don't use it people found that it robs power from the motor. Just cap it off

If you get a thin screwdriver and run it in the seam of the male connectors from your kill, you'll be able to spread them enough to get them to stay in the female connectors from the CDI. Pull the coil cover off and cut the white wire off from coil, it's not used for anything. It was supposed to be for a light but just robs power from your CDI and weakens your spark.

AHHH... ok, you guys are both VERY helpful. At least I have a clue how to do this now. Thanks.
And yea fixing the plugs I will try first. Instructions stressed how heat doesn't go well with electrical and to place the CDI as far from heat as possible. SO I kinda have it bolted on with very little slack in the wires. Really would rather not splice if I don't have to. I can, but will save that for last resort. Also if I do have it backwards, plugs are easy to switch.

Whole thing is on hold again, they sent me the wrong fuel valve. Threads are wrong. So I have to wait for that.

HEY I finally found a video that is somewhat helpful, (not enough) BUT now he shows BOTH wires from the motor hooking into ONE of the wires on the CDI. (There are two plug holes in each so he put both from the motor into one, the other would be for the throttle?)
So if this is correct, I have mine wrong.
Here, take a peek.... video Go to 16:31 to get to the wiring part.

Black wire from the motor to the black on CDI and blue wire from the motor to the blue on the CDI. That will leave you with a open connector on each wire for the two wires from the throttle.

I meant, if the motor won't start unless I'm holding down the kill button, it must be backwards. Switch the wires and the kill button should kill the already on motor. The company finally answered me, I think I have it right now. Won't know until a petcock that actually fits arrives.

I meant, if the motor won't start unless I'm holding down the kill button, it must be backwards. Switch the wires and the kill button should kill the already on motor. The company finally answered me, I think I have it right now. Won't know until a petcock that actually fits arrives.
The kill button only works if you press it and there is no right or wrong way of hooking it up. If you press the kill button the power to the plug stops.
Right now it's an open circuit, the two wires come in and end there, when you push the button there's a little contact inside that touches both wires and killing the power. Is that clear?

Back