Electrical System having problems, bike won't start. Narrowed It down to magneto.

XGavinX

Local time
10:37 AM
Hello everyone, I'm having a issue where my bike won't start. I replaced the CDI and Spark Plug, After replacing the spark plug with the old CDI the bike worked fine then one day while riding i just lost spark and the bike died and wouldn't start, I have no electrical measuring tools so I just took a wild guess as what it was and replaced the CDI, The bike isn't starting with a new spark plug and CDI so I'm assuming at this point its the magneto through the process of elimination. I don't really know alot about it and asking for your help. Below I attached a picture of the magneto and was wondering if you could point out some things that would make the bike not start. I don't really wanna order a new one and wait for it to come in the mail again like the CDI.
a3.jpg
a2.jpg
a1.jpg

without a meter, there is little one can do - harbor freight sometimes has a coupon for a free meter that works OK for these and with no coupon only charges about $5 for it without coupon

Is the grime on the magneto from your fingers or had it leaked in there already? If water gets into the mag it will kill it.
Certain spare parts are basically consumables, you will need them at some point, so you have to order things like mag, CDI, sparkplug, small bevel gear and woodruff keys before you need them.
Seal the hole where mag wires pass through with silicone, and clean your engine once in a while lol.

Connection snapped lose installing new magneto now thanks for your help guys

Hello everyone, I'm having a issue where my bike won't start. I replaced the CDI and Spark Plug, After replacing the spark plug with the old CDI the bike worked fine then one day while riding i just lost spark and the bike died and wouldn't start, I have no electrical measuring tools so I just took a wild guess as what it was and replaced the CDI, The bike isn't starting with a new spark plug and CDI so I'm assuming at this point its the magneto through the process of elimination. I don't really know alot about it and asking for your help. Below I attached a picture of the magneto and was wondering if you could point out some things that would make the bike not start. I don't really wanna order a new one and wait for it to come in the mail again like the CDI.View attachment 83329View attachment 83330View attachment 83331
It looks like your magneto burned out. Have you ridden in the rain or hosed your bike off? It could be that water got in somehow and fouled your magneto. Replace it, install a new magneto cover gasket and seal the opening where the wires exit the case with silicone. I hope my post is helpful and that you get your bike back on the road.

It looks like your magneto burned out. Have you ridden in the rain or hosed your bike off? It could be that water got in somehow and fouled your magneto. Replace it, install a new magneto cover gasket and seal the opening where the wires exit the case with silicone. I hope my post is helpful and that you get your bike back on the road. One more thing; eBay has magnetos and magneto cover gaskets for a descent price.

Back