Electronic Speedo problem Help!!!

T

thestu

Can anyone help???

Here is the problem:

I have a electronic speedo that works fine, until I start my motor, then it goes haywire, resets itself and stuff. hit the kill switch, speedo returns to normal????

I am assuming it is, having an issue with the spark, causing interference. Has anyone has a similar problem, and is there a work around? such as a suppressor, or something I could incorporate somehow???

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Stu

You must have a wireless one. You are right the spark does interfere with the radio signal. Just get one with a wire and it should work fine.

Speedo help continued

I should have mentioned that it is a wired electronic speedo. It is the second one I have tried, as I thought there was something wrong with the old one, so i bought a new speedo, but same problem. it is pretty weird.

Some electronic speedos offer an upgrade kit to wireless and the head unit has a reciever in it already. You kick on the engine and it has something to recieve. Sometimes it is cheaper for them to make just one head to do both.

I put a wireless Trek comp on once and it registered over 100 miles per hour. It was consistent with itself, but of no use to me. Of course then I realized my mistake and replaced it with a wired comp.
So what company makes your unit? Did you buy the same make/model again?

Speedo brand

The first speedo is the brand acme!! no Im not kidding!!!

The second is a no name manufactured in Taiwan, purchased from Target local department store.

both work fine, until motor is running.

I did a bit of an experiment today with the target one, I took it off the bike, to see if it would stuff up, while not connected. it didn't reset itself, but I noticed that it started to work the closer I held it to the cradle. very strange. although it wasn't accurate it worked without resetting. I have no idea what is going on? It is a real pain with no speedo as I am still running the motor in.

Think I might just go analogue!!!!

great!

I just read your post about the probs with wireless speedometers. I broke the sensor on mine a long time ago and got Topeak to send me another one yesterday. Now I read this and find out it probably won't work anyway....oh well at least they were cool enough to replace it for free. Can't beat that with a stick! Maybe there will be some way to get it to work right. Will see!

** This is copied from a post I wrote in the analog speedometer topic:

I highly recommend the Bell Spin Fit speedometer. It has lots of functions like odometer, avg speed, max speed, etc. One nice thing is that you can reset the trip odometer without resetting the main odometer. When you replace the battery, you can program in how many miles you already have on your bike, and it will start counting again from there.

Also, there is a formula you can use to get accurate readings from any size tire. It comes with a list of codes for standard size tires, but if you have an odd size tire, you measure it and do some math, then you enter the final number into the speedometer for the right speed readings.

Oh yeah, and it's really inexpensive. They have them where I live at Kmart and miscellanious sporting goods stores for about 15-20 dollars.

I installed the same black and chrome speedometer on all 3 motorized bikes I built and they are reliable and work great.

http://www.onestopshopcatalog.com/b617n.html (this place is about $22 with shipping to southern California)

202_myspeedometer_2.jpg

speedo problem solved!!!!

Hi Thanks for all the advice, but i have good news! I solved the problem!

went to jaycar (equivalent to radioshack) purchased some ferrite suppression sleeves, slipped them over the speedo sensor wire, started her up and hey presto! speedo works fine! I guess I must have old school copper wire running from the cdi to the spark plug. oh well everything works so I shall try to not ride too close to radios!!!!!

:D :D :D

Back