Electronic Speedo problem Help!!!

I have a Schwinn speedo, the $12 one from walmart. it would go blank the moment my engine started, then come back on, but I would have to re-enter my wheel size, on the fly. then it worked fine. so, I just take it off the mount & put it in my pocket till I get it started, then put it back on the mount & it works fine. kind of a pain. glad to know it can be fixed....radio shack here I come!

topeak

I just went for my first ride trying a Topeak Panoram wireless speedo/computer and it seems to work fine. It's the older version and I had broken the sensor out riding trails a few years ago, recently asked Topeak for a replacement and they sent one pronto, for free. I put it back on my bike which now has a 70cc engine and it worked great.

Apparently there are two threads about speedometers. I read this one first and tried the ferrite fix, and it worked perfectly. I wrapped the extra wire from the sending unit through the ferrite filter then replaced the zip ties holding the gauge so that they also held the coils in the filter. No more problems. (Man, I like this forum!)
I tried to post a pic but had trouble.

Speedo's

My Stewart Warner Whizzer speedo works fine all the time, rain or shine! With or without the engine running, the cable drive works flawlessly.

Mike

My Stewart Warner Whizzer speedo works fine all the time, rain or shine! With or without the engine running, the cable drive works flawlessly.

Mike

Funny that ...

Wish me luck - I am going to get a cheap bike computer and see if I can get it to run as a rev counter...

Jemma xx

Mike

I agree Mike :D I use liberated mechanical speedos from dumped exercise machines on my bikes and I've never had a moment's trouble with them.
You won't catch me putting a computer on my bikes. I saw wot happened in '2001 A Space Odyssey' - you can't trust them computers :eek:

that bell speedo is great they dont sell it at kmart or walmart anymore but its younger wireless brother works an my engine bike too...

I tried 2 Huffy brand puters(1 cord,1cordless) and was constantly plagued with problems of them resetting themselves back to zero(Interfearance from engine noise)
I know there's a fix for it now,i saw the post on MBc but at that stage i had no idea.
I then bought a more expensive Echowell brand and it's worked flawlessly ever since.
Don't buy cheap puters...it doesn't pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back