Email from Washington State DOT

if we all act responseably & keep it under 30 , have all the lights bells & whistles, & obey all traffic laws & not impede traffic it wiil go a long way towards a positive light in the public eye! please everybody be good ambasadors for motoredbikes!! thanks in advance!!

I think that once you start making a public nuisance of yourself, esp.in urban areas (loud exhaust, speeding,sidewalk riding, etc),you're playing with fire, and will get your *** kicked collectively,for sure.

Dear folks:

Here's the information I have. For reference, the page on the Washington State patrol website that I was using as a basis for equipment requirements re moped licensing is http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/cvd/equipstd/moped.pdf. This page contains links to the various equipment requirements for mopeds in the RCW (Revised Code of Washington), and also at the bottom contains a three photographs, the center one of which looks like a classic cruiser bicycle with kit motor installation.

The definition of "moped" per Chapter 46.04.304 RCW is "a motorized device designed to travel with not more than three sixteen-inch or larger diameter wheels in contact with the ground, having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, and an electric or a liquid fuel motor with a cylinder displacement not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters which produces no more than two gross brake horsepower (developed by a prime mover, as measured by a brake applied to the driving shaft) that is capable of propelling the device at not more than thirty miles per hour on level ground. "

In the Washington State Patrol web page http://www.wsp.wa.gov/newsfaqs/faqs.htm#vehclass, the following question is asked and answered:

Q: "How do I need to license my scooter in order to legally operate it on the roadway?"

A: "In the state of Washington, any two or three wheeled vehicle will either be licensed as a motorcycle or a moped depending on the engine size and how fast the vehicle travels.

If the vehicle travels less than 30 mph and has an engine size of less than 50cc, it will be licensed as a moped in the state of Washington and the driver would be required to have a valid drivers license in order to operate it on the roadway. These vehicles are only allowed to operate on roadways that do not exceed 35 mph and must follow any additional restrictions set within their local jurisdictions."

Personally, I think the language above pretty clearly states that my kit-built 49cc bike will be a moped. That said, I uninterested in getting into arguments with anyone about it; I'm just trying to pass on the information I've gotten. If TeamGorillaRacing or anyone else wants to interpret the information above differently than I do, that's their business. My primary goal is to build a vehicle that can replace my car with something much more fuel efficient for most urban single-person trips in Seattle, and because I think the state regulations require a license etc. my decision is that it's more time-efficient and lower cost to just get the license, rather than argue with the police about it. Maybe I'm wasting my money in doing so, but that's cool with me. If TGR wants to ride without a license, more power to him (or her).

Unfortunately, it also appears that you can't take it for a ride in the country, as you won't find many country roads with 35 MPH limits...

another in wa state

if we all act responseably & keep it under 30 , have all the lights bells & whistles, & obey all traffic laws & not impede traffic it wiil go a long way towards a positive light in the public eye! please everybody be good ambasadors for motoredbikes!! thanks in advance!!
the key word here people is pedal assist...it is human powered 1st with a motor to help us who have had knee replacements ride and enjoy bikeing again...i am 46 years old... both knees had acl meniscus tears and i would not be able to ride for 7 hours on just pedaling! Beside if we keep bringing up the fact that it is motorized 1st and just has pedals for fun then they will be forced to regulate us!

The MB contingent is not homogenous by any means,there are distinct sub-groups with rather different attributes:
1) The speed freaks,usually younger and looking for kicks,pedaling is just a means to get started.They are looking for cheap substitute motorcycles really and think this is a good way to get around insurance and licensing requirements.
They are bad news and are likely to bring us into disrepute.
2).Commuter types, they are interested in inexpensive transportation,are also interested in speed since that affects the duration of their commutes.Reliability is important to them.I think a lot of them would be better off on a small motorcycle or a scooter.Riding a scooter is considered by many to be an un-manly thing to do (the T factor).Small motorcycles are considered wimpish too,but you can mess around with clutch&gears and feel more manly.Regrettably hardly any are available in this country.
3) Pleasure riders,tend to be older, usually not looking for speed,20 mph is plenty fast for them.They do not mind pedaling since most are cyclists at heart, who welcome some assist due to physical limitations.
There is of course overlap between these groups and I have no good idea as to their relative sizes, but I would expect the non-pedaling contingent to be quite high and group 3) fairly small

Last edited by a moderator:
the key word here people is pedal assist...it is human powered 1st with a motor to help us who have had knee replacements ride and enjoy bikeing again...i am 46 years old... both knees had acl meniscus tears and i would not be able to ride for 7 hours on just pedaling! Beside if we keep bringing up the fact that it is motorized 1st and just has pedals for fun then they will be forced to regulate us!

What quay said! MAB, with the emphasis on assist.

Back