Engine bogs/Air leak?/Gaskets? Help please

wow !!!

That is really really good. A little high actually. 90psi or higher is good. some of the motors have 80psi. But..Generally speaking, 90 or higher is good. yours is great !! Must have some carbon buildup. ok..so..There is fuel and spark. So.. Your problem lies in one of those two areas. You are either fuel starved or flooded, or lack of spark. So..You need to check those two areas. If you have to choke the motor to get it to run better, then you know you are fuel starved. Also..No to digress...But..Pull your plug and check for spark. Enjoy the ride !!

How did all this work out for you ibeenjammin? Did it stop bogging and what size fuel line did you move down to?

To make a long story short.....too late. Unfortunately, it is a long story. My motor seems to be working fine. It still does not have the power it once had, but as you saw from my previous post, I have great compression. My buddy recently picked up a motor off of a friend. This thing had almost every gasket blown on it. I was actually excited because it gave me an excuse to tear open one of these motors. After taking the whole thing apart, I cleaned it up, made some new gaskets, swapped out just his motor with mine, I used my carb, exhaust, etc. Although, when I tried to fire it up, no go! The clutch was slipping like crazy. So, I learned how to adjust the clutch, pretty easy to do know that I have actually done it. Gave it another attempt, The motor fired up after a few tries. His motor has the power that mine used to have. Tested his compression and it was identical to mine, right around 115 psi. This I do not get. Same motor same compression, but mine is now lacking. If anyone out there has any thoughts on why this would be, please fill me in or give your opinion. I used his motor on my bike for about 2 weeks...good times, this sucker worked beautifully. I put my motor back on my bike and I can definately notice a difference. Back to my issues, I still have a fuel leak, believe it or not, I am begining to think that it is not the fuel line now. But to answer your question regarding fuel line size, I am using a I.D. 3/16 vinyl tubing, it is a very snug fit. I do not have very much free time to work on my engine but it does consume me when I do. I have been putting "Ebonita" together again and have encountered some fun issues. If you do not know about "ebonita", click here.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5905

The original owner had posted pics on his site showing the chain going from the engine to the jackshaft having too much slack in it. I had the same problem. Removing one more link would make it impossible to attach the chain. So, I left the chain too loose, had everything installed, hopped on the bike to take it for a test run. Popped the clutch and the bike just came to a stop. Hmmm....that's weird I thought. It wouldn't roll no mater what I did. So I carried it back to my garage. pulled the cover off the engine sprocket and the chain was all bound up in there. So i got it un-stuck and tried again. Would you believe it, it did the exact same thing again...shoots! So, I figued out that the chain is way too loose and needs to be significantly tighter. There is no room for an idler wheel, so I removed another link and wouldn't you know it....too short. I think that I found a way too make it work. I am going to be forced to use the alternative method installation plate. I will attach a picture when I get a chance. I think it will work, but I won't know until I pick up a few parts at the hardware store tonight. I hope this update is what you are looking for. I am going to have to trouble shoot my carb a little more. If I find the problem, I will post the results.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read on some other thread where someone had short chain issue. Did you slide the wheel all the way forward but not out. Roll the chain on, then back the wheel up and tighen it?
Someone correct me if I go that wrong. I'll try and find the link later.

The chain is going from the motor to the jackshaft, not a tire. The jackshaft does not move, so I had to move the motor a tad closer to the jackshaft to attach the chain. After doing that, the motor will not seat all the way back down to the mount-post welded on the frame. That is why I am going to have to use the bracket that comes with the motor as an alternative way to mount the front portion of the motor to an oversized frame. I will have to take pictures to show you what I am talking about. I am not sure if I will be able to do it tonight but I will try to soon.

Dude that is so cool . I did not know what a jackshaft was, now i do and have learned somtheing today. Looks great.
Don't worry yourself over the pics, but thanks anyways, unless you think somone else could learn something or help you.

Back