Engine bolts?

H

highrider

My friend said who just purchased his engine and was trying to unscrew the bolts by hand, but they dont budge. Can they be unscrewed by hand or do you need a electric screwdriver to remove them? Is it possible to put the chain on without removing the cover?

If you're talking about the bolts that cover the chain, you absolutely must remove the cover (And take out the spark plug) to get the chain on.

Don't use an electric screwdriver, in my experience, that strips the heads. Instead get your hands on a big beefy screwdriver with a tip that's as big as the bolt head.

luck

If you have your clutch cable already installed, you do not need to remove the cover. Even if you don't have the clutch cable already installed, you do not need to remove the cover. It will be easier to see what you are doing with the cover removed, but not necessary. You need to disengage the clutch (hold the clutch lever in toward the motor) and start feeding the chain around the motor's sprocket, it will spin freely. Once the chain comes out the other side, with the clutch lever pulled in still (this will be hard to do if you do not have the clutch hand lever installed) pull some excess chain through until you have enough to work with. On a side note, to remove the screws on the cover, use a large Phillips head screwdriver with the longest shaft you can get your hands on (this gives you more torque) and will make the removal of those bad boys a piece of cake. I hope this helps

thanks for the advice, I will break the bad news to him. So if he want to remove the sprocket cover or dismantle the engine he will need to bend his back and no shortcut, since they are all like that. I lent my thickest normal and philipshead screwdrivers to him but they their shaft only about 20cm (16 inches)

My guinea pig has completed everything except putting on the chain and starting.:p

(By the way he has the china 2-stroke 48cc petrol engine, the one Im hoping to get for my bike)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't bend anything! Push the clutch lever in which dis-engages the clutch which allows the motor sprocket to move freely, which will allow him to put the chain on without having to remove the covers. He should be able to remove them fairly easily.

it sounds as though your 'friend' maybe putting the cart before the horse...dismantle this, remove that,...if all thats left is the chain, theres really no need to take anything apart

Don't bend anything! Push the clutch lever in which dis-engages the clutch which allows the motor sprocket to move freely, which will allow him to put the chain on without having to remove the covers. He should be able to remove them fairly easily.
He has managed to put on the chain by threading it through, but the chain is too long, so he need to buy a chain breaker.

Hopefully all them bolts will loosen when the motor is used so they can unscrew them to service the bike later on, because they wont budge.

I had to break my chain, just be careful not to cut it too short. If you have a grinding wheel, grind down the pin that is holding the link that you want removed. Then use a center punch and a hammer and punch it all the way through. Or, go buy a chain breaking tool, just make sure it is large enough to handle the 415 size chain. Alot of people do not cut their chains, they just use the idler pully and take up the slack that way....just a suggestion.

you could just grind the pegs down and grind the link off. Just make sure it is not too short! This is a common mistake.

Use an impact driver on those nuts. Put that phillips bit on it,get it on that nut and hit it with a hammer. When the hammer hits the driver,it turns the nut with hammer force cause there's a spring in there and a half screw that turns it when downward force is applied.Loosens it right up as long as the head isn't already stripped,but you can still get it to go. The shock alone would loosen it.
I've had mine forever and I believe I payed less than 10 bucks for it but it's worth it's weight in gold.
It's a 3/8 drive on the end so your sockets would work with it for bolts and stuff too.
That pic is bad,though. It shows a well used impact driver. Look at the mushroom. If that was mine,I would throw it away and get a new one.

Attachments

• impactdriver.jpg
    impactdriver.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 266
Last edited by a moderator:
Back