Engine braking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how you'd engine brake with a centrifugal clutch. If you have good discs you shouldn't need to engine brake. I know some people engine brake the 2 strokes. Something like this should be plenty enough VVV
34BF2412-E69F-4E0C-8C2F-ED04AE93E917.jpeg
715BDE7A-9B3C-4A36-9D26-302DAC7B72B7.jpeg

It looks as if the huesheng is “engine braking” in the video. Listen to it.

Oh ok I know what you mean that’s just the noise of the valvetrain coming down from high rpm. These little 4 strokes can rev to 7,000 rpm. 35cc Subaru’s make a similar sound as well.

Yup, definitely engine braking going on there. I dunno what transmission you're using, but it most likely doesn't have a freewheel.

Wish mine would do that, but I have dual freewheels on my Huasheng bike's drivetrain. Drops right back to idle as soon as I let off.

My first huasheng came with the hoot transmission, and it definately engine braked as there were no freewheels. Now I am running the 4g and SBP shift kit, so 2 freewheels and no engine braking. Not sure if engine braking is the best thing to do to an engine, it puts load in the opposite direction than the engine is designed for.

For me, the jury is out on the question of the benefits/drawbacks of engine braking. For two strokes, it's probably not a good thing, since with the throttle closed, you have no lubrication being provided via the fuel/oil mix. With a four stroke, however,this is not a problem since the lubrication is not being delivered via the fuel. In fact, some feel that it may even be beneficial, since the closed throttle provides the highest vacuum, thereby tending to suck ambient oil in, providing a bit of extra lubrication. This is assuming, of course that you don't have double freewheels. - Just some food for thought.

That just gave me an idea how come there’s no 2 strokes with oil control rings and dippers/sumps? That would theoretically increase the life of the engine. If I’m correct 2 strokes work on crankcase scavenging but they could be modified. I guess the oil could escape out the side ports. 2 stroke diesels have side ports though. I guess diesel is indeed more lubricating than gas.

Last edited:
Using the engine to slow down on two strokes is totally fine. It's basically how you ride a dirt bike.

Using the engine to slow down on two strokes is totally fine. It's basically how you ride a dirt bike.
not really,
if you ride a 2 stroke on track you basically are pinning it (check out some older videos of pros racing 2 strokes, those guys pin them all the time!)
if you engine brake it starves the engine (unless you have oil injection, which pretty much no dirt bike has)
i engine brake some times, but i wouldnt reccomend it.
but hey, its your bike, and your choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back