Engine dies as soon as I begin to release the clutch (engage the clutch)

Seanoh74

Local time
11:05 AM
Just bought a new Chinese 80cc bicycle engine. Got a pull starter and a spring tensioner for it. Got it put together and go to take it for my first ride and the motor started right off and runs strong. I stared peddling to about 8 to 10 miles an hr. I easily let of the clutc5h and the motor dies and no matter how much throttle I give it it still dies. I should have bought a name brand I know but I can't afford it. Any ideas of what I might could do to resolve this?

Is the chain or anything binding when you try and rotate the engine with the clutch released? If you know what your doing the generic engine can be made just as good or better than a name brand engine.
If the engine idles and revs fine with the clutch pulled in then the problem is something keeping the engine from turning or putting an extra load on the engine causing it to stall.
If the chain alignment and tension is off it can cause the chain to bind on the 10 tooth sprocket on the engine.
Take the spark plug out, release the clutch lift or raise the back tire and check the chain alignment and how it rotates on the sprockets while turning the pedals

Chain binding is often a issue, but it would be present while you were trying to pedal as well. If it's dies and you're pedaling 10mph, but runs fine with no load I would suspect compression. Maybe loose plug or improperly torqued head.

There are no name brands with these. Price doesn't say much either. I have a $110 kit that I love and has over 2000 miles. I have a $150 kit with 500 miles sitting on my floor in a box waiting for me to take apart and turn into a project. I don't know what is causing you problem but know that when you solve it, it won't ever stump you again. Don't get frustrated.

Everything seems fine as far the chain tension and alignment. Here's what I realized awhile ago , the engine will idle just fine and under no load will rev up but as soon you put a load on it it loses power and that is when the engine dies and it will crank right back up and so on....

Did you check if the plug is tight like @gary55 asked? Are the head bolts tight? You're most likely going to have to do a compression test. Less likely could be a fuel issue either excessively rich or extreme lean. Was the engine already assembled when you got it?

Did you check if the plug is tight like @gary55 asked? Are the head bolts tight? You're most likely going to have to do a compression test. Less likely could be a fuel issue either excessively rich or extreme lean. Was the engine already assembled when you got it?
Yes the engine was assembled aside from installing the carb and the muffler all I did was mount it.

Back