Engine Trouble Engine Dies when riding sometimes

foosh

Local time
7:38 AM
I recently bought my ebay kit and assembled it. It worked great, I've rode it a little over 100 miles now and it has worked fine until today. While riding, my bike just shuts off slowly, like its not getting fuel but I have enough fuel (its getting to the carb too). If I clutch it in while it is dying and rev the gas, it revs normally and has no issues and does not die. However if I just gas it more when its dying the bike loses spark like I do not hear the gas igniting or anything.

I upgraded the spark plug with another NGK that everyone uses, forgot the model. Bike is stock

When it dies and I gas it more, it seems like the gas stop igniting and as if I am not giving it throttle. If it dies and I start it again, It will ride for like 10 seconds then die again. Its a cycle

I suspect trash in the float bowl getting in the jet.
flush your float bowl and tank and buy a good fuel filter.

@Jaguar thanks for the reply. When I installed the items in the bike I flushed the fuel tank with some water and nothing seemed to have came out. Is it possible for the float bowl to get that contaminated after just 100 miles? The bike rides great, but sometimes it just dies when I'm riding, the engine is running but no fuel is being burnt as the momentum keeps it running but I find it weird when I clutch it in then it doesn't die.

you could have paint coming out of the tank now, or flakes coming from the inside of your fuel line , or rubber pieces out of your petcock, or a lot of things - it won't hurt to open the carb & clean it

Well that sucks, I'll clean the tank tomorrow and probably get a new fuel line. Any chance this damaged my engine?

the heavier the engine load, the richer the mixture needs to be. That is why the lean mixture seemed OK when you pulled the clutch in and removed all engine load.

ditto that.

drain the bowl, might have some water you failed to remove from the tank. always rinse water out with alcohol or acetone...twice!

or the crank seals are going, if any of the above doesnt ring true on inspection. at 100miles, thats just down to lousy installation at the factory, if so.

simple check is pop the covers...oil behind the magneto and or small pinion gear is leaky seals.

do you check fuel in the bowl IMMEDIATELY after it dies? try removing fuel line, watch the flow. it should remain consistent, otherwise the cap is playing silly buggers with you...

I recently bought my ebay kit and assembled it. It worked great, I've rode it a little over 100 miles now and it has worked fine until today. While riding, my bike just shuts off slowly, like its not getting fuel but I have enough fuel (its getting to the carb too). If I clutch it in while it is dying and rev the gas, it revs normally and has no issues and does not die. However if I just gas it more when its dying the bike loses spark like I do not hear the gas igniting or anything.

I upgraded the spark plug with another NGK that everyone uses, forgot the model. Bike is stock

When it dies and I gas it more, it seems like the gas stop igniting and as if I am not giving it throttle. If it dies and I start it again, It will ride for like 10 seconds then die again. Its a cycle

Sounds like the carb is the culprit in this case, also make sure your wiring is correct and everything is secure, a bad connection can give you POOR spark. The carbs are very simple, spray carb cleaner through the jets and stuff to flush all of that out, also if your tank has a filter that screws into the fuel valve/petcock TRASH it, those are junk and they collect crap and it blocks up your fuel system. Run a good inline filter though. One time I had a craburetor that ran good, but wasn't always reliable, I ordered a replacement carb(same exact one) and the engine ran EVEN worse! (brand new, pulled apart, everything was shiny) but it ran like crap, like it was made wrong from the factory or something. Also try running the bike with the gas cap OFF of the tank, if it runs fine, drill some small holes in the cap. Often, the gas caps don't ventilate adequately. Run a hotter plug in colder weather and a cooler plug in warmer weather(that's my policy anyway). Also one more thing! Make sure that the clamp that holds the carb on the intake manifold is TIGHT, I actually get rid of that clamp and use a small hose clamp, and reef on it with the screwdriver, and then a wrench! OH boy, it works wonders!

The most common problems with gas bikes is that no one understands the spark properly.the spark can only happen when the engine and the engine control are mounted properly if your engine control and your engine aren't mounted properly with a proper ground the bike will just die out mid-ride always check to ensure your motor is in constant contact with the frame oil burnoff and dirt deposit on the frame regularly also try not to wash your bike as we all know rust kills bikes hope this works for you it worked for me

Back