Engine/Exaust Popping!

• Thread starter Keepthedrivetommy
  • Start date
K

Keepthedrivetommy

Hi all,
I've been having a problem with the engine or maybe its the exaust pipe since I took out that bottom screw from the exaust pipe. When I took it out, the exaust got a little louder, and some coughing started, but nothing bad. The end cap never came off, so I screwed the screw back in, but the exaust is still coughing, and now the engine gives a somewhat loud POP and the motor loses power, and then it comes back, but it is getting to the point where I can't ride the bike without a pop every 2 minutes. Did I mess up the exaust and need a new one?
Tommy

K

Keepthedrivetommy

How will I know if the spark plug cap is bad or not? Also, I have not changed my spark plug from the original that it came with, will that make a difference?

D

davidsis

Try this

I just posted this in the tech area. cleaned magnito with tissue paper, and filed on that black ground wire with an emory board. There is a thick coat of varnish stuff where it grounds too. I just sanded it of with an emory board. My muffler would do that too.

N

npk1977

Do other people have this problem? I think I may be having it with my new kit. What tools does one need to set the spark plug gap? I went to the auto parts store for some spacers, they said they have nothing close to 0.02".

salfter

What tools does one need to set the spark plug gap? I went to the auto parts store for some spacers, they said they have nothing close to 0.02".

Your local parts store should have a tool specifically for that job...usually a few wires of varying thicknesses around a disc or a disc with an edge of varying thickness. There should also be attached to it a tool to adjust the gap. If the appropriate gap isn't on one of those, you should be able to use a feeler gauge to do the same job.

A spark plug gap tool will look something like one of these:

Attachments

• spt1.jpg
    spt1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 327
  • spt2.jpg
    spt2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 353