Engine for first build?

r0ckinricky

Local time
6:21 AM
Im looking to build my own bike, This will be my first build i want the bike to go around 25-30 mph. My question is should i go with a 4-stroke or 2-stroke engine and were can i buy a kit for around 120$. I know with my budget it wont leave me with alot of options but for my first build i dont want to go all out.Thank you for the help.

same thoughts

You know I am where you're at. This is new to me to. I'm thinking of 4 stroking mine, because I have read a lot of articals about the 2 strokes and it seems to me that they are troublesome, but i dunno, like I said Im new too. This is my first build, but I kinda want to go ahead and spend the money upfront to build it right so it will last, but on the other hand IM READY TO RIDE lol....

yea same i just wanna ride. i just want to find a site that has both 4 and 2 stroke engine kits. ik 2 strokes give people problems but i like how the look better i dont want o engine on the back of my bike i want it in the center and i have yet to see a 4-stroke in the center.

2 stroke looks good to me

The main problem I have with the four stroke engines is they were not built to work with bikes. It seems to me that they just take a standard 4 stroke motor and graft it on some kind of base. the two stroke engines were built just for bikes and look like they belong there.

The very nature of two stroke engine also lends itself to more power per weight because the engine is firing every revolution not every other. There is the added benefit that there are no valve train to worry about.

the last thing is that they are usually very inexpensive (CHEEP) If you want to stay under a certain budget the safest way to do so is to go with a two stroke engine.

On the downside they don't seem to last that long and seem to have a propensity for rattling all of their hardware off. The quality of these engines seem to be more hit or miss, depending on what day or hour they were made.

I think that for the money the two stroke is still the best way to go.

mike

you will not get a 4 stroke engine for $120.00.
4 strokes are more expensive than the little china 2 strokes.
The china 2 strokes are basically throw away engines.
run em til they die and buy a new one.

I got one from:

One of the better kits I got was from Canada.
http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com

It could be that I just got lucky but, I really liked that kit. I am currently running one I got from GASBIKE but I had some problems with kit they sent me.

The CDI was defective and the chain could not handle the output of the motor. It shipped with a standard BMX chain.(maybe that's why it was on sale)

The one I would avoid at all cost is Boy Go Fast. That was the first kit I got and all of the parts that I installed failed. I guess it wasn't so bad because I did get to learn all about how these little engines worked and even with all of these problems I was still only out the price of a down payment on a used motorcycle.

mike

One of the better kits I got was from Canada.
http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com

It could be that I just got lucky but, I really liked that kit. I am currently running one I got from GASBIKE but I had some problems with kit they sent me.

The CDI was defective and the chain could not handle the output of the motor. It shipped with a standard BMX chain.(maybe that's why it was on sale)

The one I would avoid at all cost is Boy Go Fast. That was the first kit I got and all of the parts that I installed failed. I guess it wasn't so bad because I did get to learn all about how these little engines worked and even with all of these problems I was still only out the price of a down payment on a used motorcycle.

mike

Why avoid b.g.f.?
he doesn't manufacture the engines or the kits..he just drop ships them like everyone else does.
chances are that b.g.f. gets the same exact engine kits that all the other vendors get.
sometimes you end up paying more for the same exact thing from a diffent vendor because they claim that thiers is the best (when in fact they are all the same exact thing).
the main thing to look for when it comes to different vendors is their customer service. Some people (like me) don't worry too much about customer service.
but, you could pay $150.00 for a kit from a place that has little to no customer service. On the other hand, you could pay $250.00 for the same exact kit from a vendor that has good customer service.
With these engines, it's the luck of the draw because every vendor sells lemons no matter who you buy from.
I have bought 4 engine kits from b.g.f. and have not had one single problem out of any of them.
I'm not saying that b.g.f. is the best because we all know that's far from the truth.
I'm just saying that whenever you buy a chinese 2 stroke, from ANY vendor, you take the chance of getting a good one, or a bad one.
the key is the customer service, and a vendor who stands behind what they sell. If they sell you an engine kit with broken or missing parts, or an engine that won't run, they should replace those parts (or the whole kit) for free in my opinion.

Customer service...not either BGF or luckyearlybird (related)...They don't care if a part is bad...all they want is to sell the kit and other accessories. Bought 1 from them, my last. Luck of the draw is correct, but there some inexpensive mods that can be done that will enhance the longevity of them. I prefer a 2 stroke then a 4 stroke for the above mentioned. Once I put mine together I have not had but very minor troubles out of them. The most important is that the engine is mounted correctly. I'm among other things a experienced mechanic. It took me two work days to make sure it was done right. Put it together in 2 hours is a wish..

Here is a good read.....
http://www.mediafire.com/?k14v8jfej4nj434

Last edited:
Back