Engine Good or Bad ?

The SHT48cc-SHT60cc-and the SHT80cc
now don't go getting dirty mined with the name

I have one of these engines among my small collection. It starts easily, runs nice, and has good power. In fact, it is slightly faster with only 50 miles on it than a Dax motor which has 300 miles on it.

The only thing I don't like about this engine are the small size head studs. Remove the studs and loctite them into the block with red loctite. Loctite the stud head bolts too!

Since you are pulling the head/cylinder to loctite the studs into the lower block, you SHOULD remove and replace the stock copper wrist pin bushing with a roller bearing. Bushing failure seem to be the most common cause of engine failure/damage among all brands. A cheap and quick fix will save you headache down the road.

Also, use a good quality two stroke oil that has some castor oil in it. You should use Klotz Benol oil or Maxima 927 oil. Both have twice the film strength, load strength, and flash point of pure synthetic or conventional oils.

Never use less than 5 oz per gallon and never allow engine to run lean.

i've recently had occasion to have a good look at a quality-built "65" and i agree about the zip the engine has...

i can live with the 6mm head-studs but they bear watching for sure, & the roller bearing upgrade will help any engine that has bushings now.

from what i've been observing lately, i'm guessing someone's been reading MBc to find out what the consumer really wants...quality, reliability, fair pricing, & honest sales practices.

Back