Engine has way less power after reed kit installation?

jeeprider

Local time
6:13 AM
I put a reed valve kit on my 80cc 2 stroke from bikeberry and I bought the windowed piston off of ebay. I measured the stock piston before buying the windowed one and measured it when it came in the mail, and it is the right one. My problem is, is it will idle fine, but when I go to accelerate, it basically shuts off under full throttle. If I go easy on the throttle, it will stay running but has very little power. Such little power thatr I have to pedal it sometimes to help it get the RPM's higher. Once the RPM's get up there, it runs fine and has good power. Any ideas? I did put a bigger jet in it after the reed kit install. I'm stumped. Any help will be appreciated.

What carburetor are you using?
Do you still have stock carb installed?
Have you checked your throttle cable adjustments.?

Did you re-jet? When you go to a reed you usually need to make the carb richer, one good start is the needle clip, if you move the clip to the bottom it should richen up and help a bit with the lower end torque, which is where you seem to have problems

I did try and adjust it, and it just made it worse. I don't know whether to go leaner or richer. I put the stock intake back on it and it runs perfect. I'll have to install the reed kit again and get a video.

The only thing I thought that maybe the reed is creating less crankcase compression
I’m not sure what one he’s talking about though

Not enough cylinder compression? I’m not sure if that would matter with adding a reed

The only thing I thought that maybe the reed is creating less crankcase compression
I’m not sure what one he’s talking about though

Not enough cylinder compression? I’m not sure if that would matter with adding a reed
Well, if he had a windowed piston and switched the intake only then it shouldn't be running at all.. I think the cheap reeds lack something, I've noticed the petals don't alway stay closed or lay flat when you look at them, especially after using it they just stay slightly open. For all he knows he has an air leak on the valve or a cracked Reed.

Haha, was thinking the same just after I finished typing as I noticed that on one of the ones I have

It could explain why it’s working at high revs as it might have enough pressure to close it off or it not be such an issue at high revs

I was thinking of putting mine on glass with sand paper and flattening them
Even the screws seem to warp it a little when they screw in

Back