Engine Trouble Engine is having trouble running after starting.

😃BumpyTurtle😃

Local time
2:38 PM
Hello everybody. I recently assembled my first motorized bicycle kit that I got from Ebay, and I tried starting the engine. The engine ran as long as the clutch was not being pressed in, meaning the engine was still attached to the wheels. As soon as I pull the clutch in to come to a stop, the engine dies. I checked the spark plug, and nothing seems to be wrong with that. I adjusted the idle screw, but that did nothing either. Nothing is stuck in the carburetor, or in the intake. The last thing left on my bucket list to check is the gasoline : oil ratio. It's a new engine, and I may have added a little bit too much gasoline for the break in process; I was in a rush as it would be raining the next day(today) and I kinda eyeballed it. Any tips on getting the engine started? I've scoured the interweb for pretty much all afternoon today, and the only other issue I found that it could be is a problem with the crankshaft bearings. Recommendations are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! Paavan127

Try loosening the gas cap so that it sits just freely on top of the tank and yes there are plenty of YouTube videos about adjusting the NT carb.

It sounds like it's vapor locking to me.

Try loosening the gas cap so that it sits just freely on top of the tank and yes there are plenty of YouTube videos about adjusting the NT carb.

It sounds like it's vapor locking to me.
Yes you are correct, Gas cap venting is an issue.
Many have fixed this issue by drilling a small vent hole in the gas cap or drilling a small vent hole in the gas tank filler neck.

The gas tank needs to be vented properly or a vacuum will be created starving the engine of fuel.

One way to tell if a gas tank is not venting properly is to listen for a woosh of air when taking off the gas cap.
If a woosh of air is heard when taking off the gas cap this means the gas tank is not venting properly.

If this is an old thread why is it listed on the front page it should be put in an archive so that only new threads are available to read.
Threads in this forum are never just archived from what i see...It is only considered an old thread if it is over three years old, which this one is only a year old...When it is three or more years old, There will be a message, written in red from Anton, the system Admin before you try to post to an old thread, telling you to post a new thread of your own rather than revive an old thread...DAMIEN

The slide is the round cylinder- looking part sitting in the middle of the carb holding the jet needle that 'slides up n down' the core of the carb. It's hooked up to the throttle cable. When u pull the needle out, there is like an E clip at the top of it, u can adjust the part-throttle mixture by changing the position of that E clip on the needle. The higher the position the leaner the setting. The main jet inside the fuel bowl does the full throttle mixture, the factory 0.70mm jet is usually too rich causing fluttering or 4-stroking at full throttle hence the need to go down in jet size, but this would depend on your physical location relative to the sea level.

Back