Engine Trouble Engine is having trouble running after starting.

😃BumpyTurtle😃

Local time
6:23 PM
Hello everybody. I recently assembled my first motorized bicycle kit that I got from Ebay, and I tried starting the engine. The engine ran as long as the clutch was not being pressed in, meaning the engine was still attached to the wheels. As soon as I pull the clutch in to come to a stop, the engine dies. I checked the spark plug, and nothing seems to be wrong with that. I adjusted the idle screw, but that did nothing either. Nothing is stuck in the carburetor, or in the intake. The last thing left on my bucket list to check is the gasoline : oil ratio. It's a new engine, and I may have added a little bit too much gasoline for the break in process; I was in a rush as it would be raining the next day(today) and I kinda eyeballed it. Any tips on getting the engine started? I've scoured the interweb for pretty much all afternoon today, and the only other issue I found that it could be is a problem with the crankshaft bearings. Recommendations are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! Paavan127

Check your choke, lever is on, down is off. Make sure it's down once it starts. Very often you have to turn the idle screw in quite a ways to engage the ramp on the carb slide.
Thank you. Yes, I forgot to mention that I made sure the choke is on when warming up. At this point in time I'm pretty sure that I added too much gas. I still need to check the inside of the cylinder to make sure the cylinder isn't scored, but I've honestly tried everything else. It's currently 8:30PM where I live, and tomorrow is Monday, so I think I might try it out with more oil tomorrow after school. Thanks for all the input! I'll be sure to keep the current state of the bicycle updated on this thread.

Thanks - Paavan127

Sounds like it's pretty new and possibly no scoring at all in the cylinder yet. But, it's a good idea to remove head and cylinder and file away any casting flash or anything that might be protruding into the intake and exhaust passages.

That could be the issue, but usually early when you're just getting it tuned to run right, it's all carb. It will run on any mix of fuel you put in it, I just wouldn't run it for very long with no oil at all.

Back