engine leans out mid throttle

I haven't had a chance to muck about with it yet, but I will do yet. I will clean out the exhaust as I am using a lot of standard dino oil (16-1 mixture), and I'm running a rich mixture. That makes a combination for a lot of soot and gunk to accumulate in the exhaust.

BSA

I figured there'd be lotsa carbon buildup in my small exhaust since I was running 20:1 of dino... but I doubt I've had it long enough to clog it up.

If I did want to clean out my exhaust, how would I do it? Put it in some boiling water and then blow it out with an air compressor??

Could an exhaust leak be causing this mid-throttle problem?

I'm thinking it's either all the leaks I've got or the plug wire for me.

Large, I replied in that thread asking what you asked for at the NAPA place. They said they don't do single wires.

See here: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=3981&page=8

I went to the small engine repair guy & he said I've already got solid core, but I dunno what kinda metal it is. The terminal seems beat up, but the wire seems pretty thick. Also, I can't replace the CDI (easily), so my only option is to splice in a new plug wire?? Would that still improve it as much as you guys are seeing? Is it just the terminal? That's what it seems like to me.

Similar but different

Hey- i just got my new motor from Spookytooth and it rips hard, untill i throught a bit mor gas/oil that i may have not calculated right (i'm pretty sure i got danm close to the reccomended 20:1... anyway this morning was a bit chilly and when i fired it up it took a while to get idling smooth, and after about 5 min i tryed to go through the power band and about 1/2 throttle it started spuddering and then sa couple backfires out the carb! so i backed off and took it real easy to work and at lunch i went to the motorcycle shop and got another oz of oil and that owrked a little better, i was scared of being to lean (second guessing my mixing ability) when i move the choke up it runs worse but doesnt die, i play with the idle screw and it doesnt seem to make a difference at all, and im 95% sure im 20-25:1 mixture, i dont have many miles on it and like i said before it was rippin yesterday, i just dont know what it is!!! please help
-frame mount ST 80cc on a GT Kustom Kruiser at sea level and about 50°F

Last edited by a moderator:
Back