Engine lugging?

BigDaddyT

Local time
2:28 AM
So now Ive had this engine about a week and have a little experience on it Im curious. I come from a diesel background and lugging is very bad. Some of the hills I pull are 4-8% and a mile long. Does lugging these cause any damage? Also at some point if the hill pulls you out of the torque curve and you drop below a certain mph are you sposed to disengage the engine to keep clutch slippage down? How long are these clutches expected to last?

I tried to go up a mountain trail. With what I assume is a 10mph min. speed and loose gravel and rocks it didnt go well. Nuvinci or nothing im thinking. Could drop that 10mph down to 3.5 and make it a lot more doable. Any other suggestions or possibilities? The more you add into a system the less reliable it becomes so I was leary of the nuvinci.

I would say that " lugging" is not good for it. If we are in a car or truck,, diesel or gas powered,, we can change gears to prevent this. The best way on a motorred bike, is to assist with pedalling. I don't think you will be pleased with any set-up trying to ride rough/steep trails.

Lugging

Do you have a multi-speed bike? I downshift until I feel the lugging disappear. of course, my speed drops, but I still get up the hill. i know that won't help if you're on a single speed.....

I think you have a Robin/Subaru engine, right? Have you ordered the lower gear for your clutch. I did that. It dropped my top speed by maybe 2 mph, down to 26-27 mph. But much improved on uphill work for engine.

BTW, I read your comments about gas in oil. I may have the same problem. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Haven't been on the bike for a couple of days because of mucho rain here. hopefully can try it again tomorrow.

Dale WU7X

My top speed is 24mph Id like to get it up to 30. Im disabled but im still in decent shape. Id like to get my average speed up to 25.
Engine still stumbles at the top of long pulls and now I have a tip in stumble.

I'm presuming it's a rack mounted kit. Is it a Staton with a Subaru. Your gearing is too high for the hill. Either a larger sprocket or a larger engine but I've heard reports here that the staon NuVinci will climb anything a horse can get up so that is probably your answer plus dual suspension.

Its a staton rack mount with a subaru. Im going to get a tanaka 40 gebe kit but wanted something that would get better mileage. It still pulls the hills at 17-18 mph with me assisting so im thinking the gearing is ok. I want a smaller sprocket to get it up to 30mph top speed. I do run the engine at full throttle and lug it but I dont think it would not lug even if I went down a sprocket size.
The miss or stumble usually happens near the crest so Im past the steep part. Im a little perplexed as to what would cause that. Im gonna change the plug and see if the tip in stumble goes away. These problems so far are very minor but I would like to get it dialed in and running perfect.

Noticed another issue. I had heard the idle getting real low coming down the 1 mile hill but today it finally stalled and I had to pull it 3 or 4 times to start it even though it was at full operating temp. I read about these guys in Arizona having problems from the heat I wonder if Im suffering from the opposite. The air here is very cool and Im near sea level so the charge is very dense compared to other places. Id say it was about 55 degrees on the way home. On my 2 stroke I know we rejet for different temps and altitudes but this carb is supposed to be tuned to run anywhere? If it is the temp it will become more pronounced over the next month.

My top speed is 24mph Id like to get it up to 30. Im disabled but im still in decent shape. Id like to get my average speed up to 25.
Engine still stumbles at the top of long pulls and now I have a tip in stumble.

getting to know my Subaru 33cc
also get's stressed on climbs - noise that's hard to explain
peddal harder - mainly because - THAT SOUND CAN'T BE GOOD !!

like to figure it out - but - still running strong..

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Back