Engine Mounting Bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nahom

Local time
12:19 AM
I have a spare 80cc engine which I took apart ages ago to- recently one of the engine mounting bolts on my working motorized bike snapped off and unfortunately unlike last time where a bit of the bolt was sticking out so I could use vice grips or dremel a flat- this time it is flush with the engine hole it's threaded in- nothing is sticking out.
So before trying my screw extractor set which I've never used before actually- I thought I'd try them on the engine mounting bolts of the engine I took apart months ago- the thread is sticking out for this one so I have loads of room. However no matter how hard I try to drill- nothing is happening!- I used a centre punch but no hole is forming- making a small crater the diameter of the drill is as good as it gets- are the bolts too hard- why is no hole forming?

Edit: ok- I went to the hardware store just now- the guy said the rubbish Ryobi drill I have was fine and that the drill wasn't the problem- it was the drill bits I am using Dewalt HSS steel drill bits - I thought this was the best you could get for metal drilling???
He said he'd have to know what type of metal the engine mounts are and what grade they are and suggested titanium drill bits which is apparently stronger than HSS.
Is this all true?
Has anyone tried taking out the engine mount bolts or something of a similar material with a screw extractor?

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect you to have any trouble at all getting an actual screw extractor (EZ Out or similar/knockoff) to bite into the stud. EZ Outs are brittle (I just read off Google years ago) but the steel of the kit studs is known for being soft as s*** so it shouldn't be a problem.
Tbh you should have known you'd break a mount stud and should never have started it with the original kit studs it came with.. but it happened now.
Doesn't explain why your extractor doesn't work.
At this moment I'm going to have to guess you made a "rookie mistake" and you don't have the drill going in reverse like you're supposed to!

Your hardware store guy is an idiot!if you got a good extractor set one end should have the corresponding drill bit and the bit is carbide and like FurryontheInside just posted it is meant to be used in reverse!

This is my screw extractor set:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381699674297?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This is an Irwin Hansen extractor set- they had the best reviews so I waited a month for these to arrive from the US

I tried these in reverse but no luck- how long does it take to make the hole? Maybe I was a little too impatient. I tried them forward direction still no luck either

When these failed I tried the Dewalt HSS in forward direction.

Let me try again

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
It's not working- I've spent 5 mins on it's just creating a bigger and bigger crater is all- how long would you guys expect to do it in?
I started with a 3mm drill bit

This is my screw extractor set:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381699674297?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This is an Irwin Hansen extractor set- they had the best reviews so I waited a month for these to arrive from the US

I tried these in reverse but no luck- how long does it take to make the hole? Maybe I was a little too impatient. I tried them forward direction still no luck either

When these failed I tried the Dewalt HSS in forward direction.

Let me try again
That extractor set is not really the best suited for these engines,I think that I have recommended these ones to you before but anyway the ones called grabit are the best imo they take me less than 2 min to extract studs,bolts,screws,whatever and ez outs or speed outs are basically the same!look at how close the teeth are at a much lesser angle so as to get more bite on the item!

Attachments

• grabit extractor.png
    grabit extractor.png
    354.6 KB · Views: 156
  • grabit single.jpg
    grabit single.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 153
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
It's not working- I've spent 5 mins on it's just creating a bigger and bigger crater is all- how long would you guys expect to do it in?
Drill bits turn clockwise. Do not run them in reverse.
There are special left hand bits that are not easy to find and your extractor kit doesn't come with them.
I have removed a lot of broken off 6 mm studs out of 66cc China girl engines.

The stock "STUDS" are soft metal and are easy to drill a hole in if you keep the hole
centered and not at an angle to the stud.
Yes, they are called studs because they are threaded in both ends.

Edit: Still not much more progress- the hole is about 2.5 mm deep now but not getting much bigger- does cutting fluid/oil make much of a difference? I'm not using any right now?

Drill bits turn clockwise. Do not run them in reverse.
There are special left hand bits that are not easy to find and your extractor kit doesn't come with them.
I have removed a lot of broken off 6 mm studs out of 66cc China girl engines.

The stock "STUDS" are soft metal and are easy to drill a hole in if you keep the hole
centered and not at an angle to the stud.
Yes, they are called studs because they are threaded in both ends.

Oh there are left hand extractor drill bits which do come with the kit which must be used in reverse. I tried that.
Then I tried normal drill bits and used them in forward.

That extractor set is not really the best suited for these engines,I think that I have recommended these ones to you before but anyway the ones called grabit are the best imo they take me less than 2 min to extract studs,bolts,screws,whatever and ez outs or speed outs are basically the same!look at how close the teeth are at a much lesser angle so as to get more bite on the item!

Ok so it's the actual extractors which seem to be the issue?
How deep a hole do I need to drill with the grabit ones that you've suggested and is it ok if you post a link to the exact one I need to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back