Engine Mounting Bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh there are left hand extractor drill bits which do come with the kit which must be used in reverse. I tried that.
Then I tried normal drill bits and used them in forward.
The extractor are left hand spiral design! Not the drill bits.
Does not say anything about left hand drill bits which only work on loose studs by their unscrewing action.

Are the broken off studs in your motor the stock studs that came with the kit or did you replace them?
What color are they?

I have the hot tip to extract studs but if you can't drill a clean hole only 5/16" deep you got nothing.

The extractor are left hand spiral design! Not the drill bits.
Does not say anything about left hand drill bits which only work on loose studs by their unscrewing action.

Are the broken off studs in your motor the stock studs that came with the kit or did you replace them?
What color are they?

I have the hot tip to extract studs but if you can't drill a clean hole only 5/16" deep you got nothing.

But the instructions said put the drill in reverse! They were stock studs. 5/16 is defo not happening right now.

Last edited:
But the instructions said put the drill in reverse! They were stock studs.
A picture paints a thousand words!
It does seem just wrong for a brand new drill bit to not cut into the Crappy Time stud. Even a cheap drill bit if it's brand new it should cut!
So you have a kit with drill bit and extractor bit. Maybe the drill bit is normal way and the extractor bit is the only one that needs to be in reverse. I'm sure you can get a regular drill bit out and check against that. I think it would be sensible if they made both reverse but who knows?

Pictures!!

But the instructions said put the drill in reverse! They were stock studs. 5/16 is defo not happening right now.
Dude those are reverse drill bits you got with the extractor set and yes both are to be used in reverse but with that type of extractor bit you have to drill pretty deep to get the bite required like two or three teeth deep!

Dude those are reverse drill bits you got with the extractor set and yes both are to be used in reverse but with that type of extractor bit you have to drill pretty deep to get the bite required like two or three teeth deep!

How far do you need to drill with your grabit ones?

Likely, using some cutting oil to cool down the heat when drilling, you would have gotten the hole drilled easily. When I worked on a construction job making a angle curb insert, we had to drill holes every foot or so for mounting to hold the metal in place when we poured concrete around it. We tried drilling these 3/16" holes without oil, and they would heat up and become dull after only a few seconds. Start the hole for a few seconds, and then continue drilling while you put a few drops of cutting oil at the base of the drill bit. Without the oil, these hardened bits would burn up in 1 or 2 drilled holes. With the oil, we drilled a dozen more holes to complete our job.

I was offered Rocol RTD cutting paste which was the only thing the shop had left and no oil so I bought that- is that ok?
However I will order some cutting oil as well. What kind is the best and what would you personally recommend?

Last edited:
A picture paints a thousand words!
It does seem just wrong for a brand new drill bit to not cut into the Crappy Time stud. Even a cheap drill bit if it's brand new it should cut!
So you have a kit with drill bit and extractor bit. Maybe the drill bit is normal way and the extractor bit is the only one that needs to be in reverse. I'm sure you can get a regular drill bit out and check against that. I think it would be sensible if they made both reverse but who knows?

Pictures!!

Were you using cutting fluid or not (like me)?- and what material drillbits were you using ?

Drill bits turn clockwise. Do not run them in reverse.
There are special left hand bits that are not easy to find and your extractor kit doesn't come with them.
I have removed a lot of broken off 6 mm studs out of 66cc China girl engines.

The stock "STUDS" are soft metal and are easy to drill a hole in if you keep the hole
centered and not at an angle to the stud.
Yes, they are called studs because they are threaded in both ends.
Actually both my extractor sets are meant to run in reverse, as with nearly all sets. I think my favorite set is my ez-out I found at wall mart. You flip the bit from the cut side to the pull side depending on what step you're on.

I try to flatten the bolt to be removed then take a hard centerpunch or use a dremel cutting wheel to make an X in the center. Use the extractor as prescribed. Mine is drilled in reverse to make the hole, which makes sense since you want to remove the damn thing, and then I flip it to the left handed thread side which also in reverse will bite into the hole and then remove it.

I've had these pull bolts even when I messed up and drilled it with probably a quarter of the bit being outside the bolt, just being very careful is key. Sometimes if the material is too soft (which is something that you get with cheap mounting bolts) I take the bit after I've used it to drill the hole and I MANUALLY set the bit in the hole and get it to bite. Quite litteraly I'll put it in a vise grip pliers and turn it counterclockwise by hand only, since a drill can often be overpowered for this task and ruins the progress. By hand I've not actually stripped a hole with the remover bit since I can feel my way through it, once I get a quarter inch out I drop the bit and use the same pliers to finish the job.

Give it a try,

I wouldn't expect you to have any trouble at all getting an actual screw extractor (EZ Out or similar/knockoff) to bite into the stud. EZ Outs are brittle (I just read off Google years ago) but the steel of the kit studs is known for being soft as s*** so it shouldn't be a problem.
Tbh you should have known you'd break a mount stud and should never have started it with the original kit studs it came with.. but it happened now.
Doesn't explain why your extractor doesn't work.
At this moment I'm going to have to guess you made a "rookie mistake" and you don't have the drill going in reverse like you're supposed to!

Where do I buy stronger studs from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back