Engine numbers?

H-appy
T-imes

The cheap priced in frame 2-strokes.
Grubee, Flying Horse, Power King, ect. style engines.

Some time ago, long before I even knew they existed, somebody labeled them as a Happy Times engine.
I have no idea where it came from or why it stuck, but HT is commonly used as an abbreviation for this style of engine.

What's the big stink here...

Quote: Call me paranoid if you wish to, but such concern arises from my knowledge gained from working on motorcycles for 27 years, 17 of them as a certified technician, 5 of them in the salvage industry.

PARANOID=you...right? I don't understand your concern for something that will never come up. You don't need to register these vehicles to begin with in the sucky state of kaliforgia, why are you losing sleep over this. Build your bike, ride it legally and git on with your life. And wear a helmet!

Registration is required in the great state of Kaliforgnia.
They issue you a special license plate that you are required to attach to your bike.
There is a one time, non re-occurring fee for this plate. Last year it was $19 this year I think it is $21. It goes up each year.
Without this plate any, LEO in Kaliforgnia can impound your bike on the spot.

Please read...section 4020

Registration is required in the great state of Kaliforgnia.
They issue you a special license plate that you are required to attach to your bike.
There is a one time, non re-occurring fee for this plate. Last year it was $19 this year I think it is $21. It goes up each year.
Without this plate any, LEO in Kaliforgnia can impound your bike on the spot.

http://www.defend-me.com/california-vehicle-code/california-vehicle-code-section-4000-4023.asp

For your viewing pleasure, please read cvc:4020 out loud...and yes, this is the GREAT state of California, thank-you very much...drive-thru! Cheers!

They do not need to be registered, this it true, but they do need to be licensed.
I did in fact misspeak myself, sorry :eek:
I do know about these,
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg230.pdf
Here's a pdf to 406 Division 3 that pretty much spills it out in simple terms.
Key in on # 5030. This pdf was taken directly from the CADMV.
http://www.electricvehiclemall.com/pdf/CVC_for_Motorized_Bicycles.pdf
It's a good one to print out and keep with you to educate the badge happy LEO's. when they want to mess with you.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Hey, thanks for that info GearNut, good stuff too know!

I just went to traffic court today for a ticket I got last month. It was for NOT wearing a helmet? Now I'm 53 years er...young and ever since I can remember, a helmet was only required by riders under the age of 18...did I miss something? A moderately long story made short; on a casual ride home from paying some bills, riding legally and pedaling my bike after sighting johnny law, got pulled over and the usual runaround as I did produce my CA drivers license (which is also an M1 class). The officers asked me every question under the sun about my ride as if they wanted to build their own, then kindly slapped me with a ticket for not wearing a "bicycle" helmet. The offense on the ticket was cvc 21235D, which doesn't even apply to me or motorized bicycles for that matter and needless too say I left the courtroom with charges dropped and didn't have to pay a penny (as I was expecting).

So my question is, is it mandantory to wear a helmet if over the age of 18 riding a "Motorized Bicycle" in the state of California? The judge didn't know and nor did I for proof positive, so does anybody here now the current legality on this issue?

End of rant and thanks again for the links GearNut! Chime in legal eagles...

Cheers, scotto-:D

Sorry GearNut...I didn't mean to thread-jack, my apologies.

Last edited:
These two references come from the crib sheet used by the Newport Beach PD for enforcement of the CVC.

If your bike is powered by a gas motor or an electric bicycle without pedals [406(a) CVC]: 27803(b) CVC Motorcycle Helmet Required

If your bike is electric with pedals and less than 1000 watts [406(b) CVC]: 240116(b)(1) CVC Bicycle Helmet required

ocscully

Back