Engine problems

Are you sure there is enough tension on the spring to push the slide all the way back down at idle? Sometimes stretching it a little bit will help. Also, I agree with Axi Myk, check cable tension. Also, check the air filter, maybe it's dirty, not allowing enough air to get in.

Thanks Tyler but tried a Nt and Hp carburetors same thing. Also order a throttle cable made for the hp carburetor. Both carburetors are new. I had both carbs without air filters watching the slide .Im waiting for a seal for magneto side. I’m hoping that fixes it. If not I’ll try chainlubes idea of propane around the engine. If any other things you can think of please let me know. I might be over thinking things. It probably something stupid.

I just caught that it’s a HP carb, which is the Dellorto SHA15 clone. You need to do a few things. They need a special cable for the additional bent noodle on the top. The slide ball needs to be ground down so it fits inside the slide without getting hung up. They are usually too rich and need to be rejetted, correct jet depends on your altitude and few other factors. Usually takes a few tries. Once they’re dialed in, they are pretty nice.

Thanks Tyler but tried a Nt and Hp carburetors same thing. Also order a throttle cable made for the hp carburetor. Both carburetors are new. I had both carbs without air filters watching the slide .Im waiting for a seal for magneto side. I’m hoping that fixes it. If not I’ll try chainlubes idea of propane around the engine. If any other things you can think of please let me know. I might be over thinking things. It probably something stupid.
The propane will only tell you if there is a leak, it won't fix it. If you find the leak, then you'll know what part you need to fix it.

The propane will only tell you if there is a leak, it won't fix it. If you find the leak, then you'll know what part you need to fix it.
Well I’m thinking it’s a air leak . If it’s not a leak don’t know what else it could be.

Last edited:
Do you see any oil in the magneto part of the crank case? That rubber seal can sometimes become disjointed and out of it's slot. The only other thing could be an air leak which has already been discussed. Check at the head gasket, start the engine and see if you can feel any air shooting out around the head. Do you have a stock head on it? Have you lost power?

Last edited:
@wan37
This is a long shot, but could it be where the cable goes into the cable housing on the carb, some are up and down and some adre curved.
I had a trouble like that one time and all it was was that slight leak where the thrott cable goes into the thrott cable housing on the carb.

Ride Safe!

HP

Do you see any oil in the magneto part of the crank case? That rubber seal can sometimes become disjointed and out of it's slot. The only other thing could be an air leak which has already been discussed. Check at the head gasket, start the engine and see if you can feel any air shooting out around the head. Do you have a stock head on it? Have you lost power?
I had this motor for a long time I bought it for a old bike. I never got around to build it. So I bought it in 2012 0r 2013 it came with a messed up seal. So I told them so they sent news seal. Then it got thrown in a storage tote maybe five miles on it. A couple month ago I ran across it in garage. So I misplaces the new seal. So ordered some put them in. Then it had a big air leak at welds on off set intake fix that now here current. I tried everything two carbs two intakes and two throttle cables. Pulled head new gasket torqued 12ft lb. Now it runs but idling stays about 1/2 throttle, idle screw would do nothing. Now different story when going down the road throttle works then. So i went back to check seals again don't like magneto one ordered again waiting now. The seal might of been good but just in case. If that doesn't fix it then I'm going to check spark plug leaking next, once I get it running again. Then checking everywhere for a leak. Oh its a big mouth BGF engine which I like the metal seams a lot better then the engines now days. Back then in 2012 I ordered everything from BGF they really treated me great. I was just asking for other idea's to check just in case I missed something. I've checked slides in carbs with air filters off. Thanks guys.

Back