Engine problems

I had this motor for a long time I bought it for a old bike. I never got around to build it. So I bought it in 2012 0r 2013 it came with a messed up seal. So I told them so they sent news seal. Then it got thrown in a storage tote maybe five miles on it. A couple month ago I ran across it in garage. So I misplaces the new seal. So ordered some put them in. Then it had a big air leak at welds on off set intake fix that now here current. I tried everything two carbs two intakes and two throttle cables. Pulled head new gasket torqued 12ft lb. Now it runs but idling stays about 1/2 throttle, idle screw would do nothing. Now different story when going down the road throttle works then. So i went back to check seals again don't like magneto one ordered again waiting now. The seal might of been good but just in case. If that doesn't fix it then I'm going to check spark plug leaking next, once I get it running again. Then checking everywhere for a leak. Oh its a big mouth BGF engine which I like the metal seams a lot better then the engines now days. Back then in 2012 I ordered everything from BGF they really treated me great. I was just asking for other idea's to check just in case I missed something. I've checked slides in carbs with air filters off. Thanks guys.
Ha! I remember those days, I got into this hobby, wow, 10 years ago, damn! I've gotten parts from BGF before, back then he was one of the better suppliers, he's still on ebay, I've gotten several sprockets from him. I'm sure you can get it running good again. It sounds like an air leak somewhere, like I said, check the head, I have seen stock heads actually warp from the heat, just cheap Chinese steel causing a leak at the head because it won't sit flat on the head gasket.

Another area that can become a leak is between the case halves, especially with an older motor where the gasket becomes dried out. You have to pull the clutch off to get to two of the screws that hold it together though.

Update I found three problems . 1) air leak - around intake I have a bullet intake I forgot to put O ring on its spot. 2) spark plug hole was leaking got a cdh head on order. 3) Clutch pad wheel nut was almost off. Don’t know what caused that factory maybe did tighten it or vibration but really haven’t run it much.I tighten it plus locktite . Just glad I found this issue now. Wow inside clutch cover was messed up. Thanks for all your help.

I don't understand how the spark plug hole can be leaking, wasn't the plug seated all the way?
I tighten to much I suppose. Don’t know why . I also tired a different new plug ngk b6hs .Maybe when I first got it I put it in crooked.

Last edited:
I'm bad at times but not there yet, maybe when c girls stop pulling my chain!!
I'm telling you these two stroke 80ccC motors drive me insane.some people will take an hour to two hours to fix their bike compared to me taking three to five days and it's such a simple motor LOL.

I'm telling you these two stroke 80ccC motors drive me insane.some people will take an hour to two hours to fix their bike compared to me taking three to five days and it's such a simple motor LOL.
Hi Joel,
Im hoping your problems are less now than what they were...Hows everything running right now for you...inquiring minds need to know...lol...DAMIEN

Last edited:
Back