Engine Question

The hub, way less problems and looks better be sure to use blue loctite on the bolts. The only problem they have is slightly rotating on the hub since there’s no keyway. The rag joint is much worse though, it will bend spokes and you’ll have to adjust it after every ride and it will always be slightly off center where the hub adapter is centered. That rag joint setup isn’t built to last, they’re built for a kid that will ride the bike for one summer and never ride it again.

I haven't had any problems with the rag joint setup. the whole kit is on its second bike. And I put over 2,300 miles on it. Sure it's off center but as long as your chain tensioner is correct and the length of your chain is correct and there's a little bit of Slack. You shouldn't have any problems as long as they're all tightened down equally like you're putting on a spare tire on your vehicle. Yes it bends spokes but if you're careful it will bend them uniformly LOL
I don't have any problems with my rims unless I hit a pothole I run into a curb or I ride on a flat tire too long especially on the back tire.
I've had that ragtag set up on 3 rims. But yes I would love a hub mounted sprocket

have used rag joints for over 10 years, never bothered with anything else as the rag works perfectly (when done right)

first clue to your problem with it is the fact that it NEVER needs adjusting, tightening or anything else when it is right - you are probably leaving it loose

Bikeberry sells them for like $70 and it’s the same Chinese adapter as eBay I’m sure sounds like a rip-off. I saw them selling the sha clone with rectangular slide for $59 when you get get them for $20 as well smh

have used rag joints for over 10 years, never bothered with anything else as the rag works perfectly (when done right)

first clue to your problem with it is the fact that it NEVER needs adjusting, tightening or anything else when it is right - you are probably leaving it loose
So does that mean when I order my kit, I should keep my sprocket tight or loose?

The bolts should be even and tight but not too tight. If you want to save money then sure go for the rag joint but I threw mine away when I got my first kit. It was too frustrating to me.

10mm closed end wrench and 10mm ratchet should work. Tighten equally. It Will take awhile. Be patient. Shouldn't need any adjusting if all is equally tighten by hand tools as you can get it.
Careful not to squeeze that rubbery rag grommat out of place. Likes to slip until all bolts and nuts are tightened around spoke...

10mm closed end wrench and 10mm ratchet should work. Tighten equally. It Will take awhile. Be patient. Shouldn't need any adjusting if all is equally tighten by hand tools as you can get it.
Careful not to squeeze that rubbery rag grommat out of place. Likes to slip until all bolts and nuts are tightened around spoke...
Rag joint,CNC adapter,disc hub mounted all work when done right as stated above!Right being the key word to that statement and when it comes to the ability of the user or frustration level LOL, the rag joint is by far the worst one to conqure the first time or two!Some of my personal bikes still use the rag joint and have for many year's and I wouldn't say there perfect but rather as good as you can get it,and that's mostly due to non concentric cut gears to begin with.This proplem also carry's over to both of the other types of mounting as well, each step up is a bit better and a bit stronger but still not perfect and it's easy to see,have someone or you roll your bike forward two complete wheel rotations with your finger applying some pressure,you will feel two points of increased tension in the chain.This is almost always no matter what you do! TBH unless you buy an after market true cnc cut gear and adaptor or disc hub mounted it will never be perfect and even then I've seen center off on a name brand hub's disc bcd.For the guy's whom want performance setup's these things are required for those looking to just cruise or use as cheap transportation and keep it cheap,no it's not needed for the bike to work fine for many many miles no problem.A majority of my customer bikes are fitted with the stock components and have been on the road a long time,do as you will this is a tinker with it hobby and it's up to you what you end up with.

Back