Engine ramdomly started to idle high and uneven with clutch in

yeah, used to use it a lot on petcock threads - removing several months later showed it mostly gone - may depend somewhat on what additives are in your local gas

Negative teflon does not dissolve in gasoline or any other fluids with names without at least 10 syllables but does become translucent. Picture is teflon tape one drop of mid grade gasoline.

Attachments

• Teflon 002.jpg
    Teflon 002.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 192
could be where you are, but doesn't look that way here - auto stores sell the fuel resistant type here

quick google shows tape turning to goo if not the resistant type

Dupont no longer supplies teflon to or manufactures teflon tape so what we get now is an inferior product and generally called plumbers tape of which there are many grades denoted by color I think pink is for petroleum products. If you find a supply of dupont teflon tape buy it, it is much better, I only have a few rolls left and save it for when something really has to work

Hmm. Weird. I'm using a roll of cheap white stuff that looks like the same as machanic shows in his picture. I have not noticed any problems with it as carb manifold seal or (doubled and twisted up) as head gasket.

I just recently extended the intake manifold on my build by 4.5” with heater hose hoping to add some more torque on my low end. Finally got home with the fuel line extension I needed since the carb is in anew location in the bike, attached that, turned the engine over an instantly jumped to 5,500 RPM’s at idle without clutch engaged. Messed with the idle screw and couldn’t get it to idle like it was. I believe I found the source of the leak but I don’t know if it’s an air leak or how to approach it. The gasket that seals the float bowl onto the carb is where it’s leaking. So I took the carb apart and saw that the gasket hasn’t been properly lined up since I received the kit! Most of the gasket fit inside the lip like it should and part of it must have gotten stretched or something but was kinda pinched by the two metal parts that seat together to form the seal. I don’t know if I’d be able to get the gasket to fit back into it’s proper place again now that it’s misshapen. Besides ordering a new gasket is there anything I could do for the time being until I get a new gasket?

I guess if you were very patient you could get some gasket material and make a new one. I've never tried this but a cereal box may work till you get a new gasket. The rev is a air leak. You should buy a offset intake . Don't ride it with the leak you will fry your engine. The heater hose will most likely collapse in a short time. It is thin walled and not made for fuel. Look in the forum for float adjustment and make sure the float needle is working and clean.

I guess if you were very patient you could get some gasket material and make a new one. I've never tried this but a cereal box may work till you get a new gasket. The rev is a air leak. You should buy a offset intake . Don't ride it with the leak you will fry your engine. The heater hose will most likely collapse in a short time. It is thin walled and not made for fuel. Look in the forum for float adjustment and make sure the float needle is working and clean.
I will be checking and diagnosing the problem when I get home from work today. And the heater hose is the opposite of thin walled, it’s very thick walled actually and has woven fibers in the middle of it. From what I’ve read on many posts on the forum a lot of people are using it with zero issues. Now I’m sure in the future it will eventually wear down and need to be replaced, however it came in a 10’ length for $19 so I’ve got plenty of replacement if that time comes. At least that’s the theory! We shall see.

Back