Engine running weird

Will'smotobikes19

Local time
6:17 AM
When I give my engine throttle it hesitates and takes a while to go back to idle it sounds like it bogs when I give it full throttle but then revs right after. Is it running too rich? Would a long intake help? I’m running 7 ounces to a gallon but soon plan to run 20:1.

Last edited:
Try 5.5 ounces of oil.
I run a little over 6 ounces but i WOT through town lol so i need that lube ;)

sounds like your running a bit too lean, also a 18:1 is a bit too oily. try to mix 32:1 and see if that works, i found that its the best for the stock carbs jet size.
i would also move the needle clip to see if that helps.
have you cleaned your airfliter? that could be the cause as well. ( i have to clean mine every week, it gets really oily)
what altitude are you running at? windshield temperature will also greatly affect the jetting requirements.

It did have oil on it and a little dirt but they say to oil your air filter anyways I don’t think that’s the issue. I see there’s scratches I can’t feel them with my fingernail though.
AB340CC9-DB97-4D11-ADF4-CCA09A9148D1.jpeg
78A0D0E3-B298-48FE-96F7-2DFC16C8C414.jpeg

Last edited:
It did have oil on it and a little dirt but they say to oil your air filter anyways I don’t think that’s the issue.
I would clean it anyway. It might not look like much, but it will make a difference. Try to remove it entirely (just for one run) and see if you notice a different with it off, if if revs to the moon then your filter was dirty. If theres no difference then I would move the needle one notch richer.

Still ran the same cleaned it with dish washing liquid and hot water dried it off drilled holes in the plastic cover. Let it warm up hit the throttle and the same result. My neighbor's bike runs fine he let me ride it the other day and its a blast and he has a long intake with a delorto clone. Throttle response is instant while mine isn't. My bike is way more sluggish but his is a 29 inch instead of a 26. He's running 20:1 and its the bikeberry stage 3. I might try one of those carbs he has and the long intake. I'm only going to run the 18:1 until the tank is burnt up.

Still ran the same cleaned it with dish washing liquid and hot water dried it off drilled holes in the plastic cover. Let it warm up hit the throttle and the same result.
When you hit WOT with the clutch pulled in, is there a lot if blue smoke? Does it rev up, then die, then rev up agian?

Back