Engine runs great, but having throttle trouble - VIDEO INSIDE

keylan

Local time
10:17 AM
Alright guys, i went for a ride today, was out for about an hour or more, came home, parked it, and then about 3 hours later i went for another ride... there was a bit of trouble starting and once it got going it raced up to max RPM, a quick adjustment to the throttle cable and all was well for RPM count, however every time i rev it up it will hold the RPM's or increase to full and stay there, I have put about 150-200 miles on this build without any problems

and before my long ride this morning i cleaned the carb out 100% and then went for the long ride so i can assume this issue is not the carb

My first assumption was gas that was too lean, so i drained the tank, and put in some 20:1 (usually run 32:1) and the problem continues

here is a video of me revving the engine so you can hear the RPM's stick

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i6.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/keylan/MVI_0991.flv">

You need to make sure that the throttle is not sticking by removing the air cleaner and ensuring that the throttle slide is bottoming out against the throttle stop (idle) screw.

You may have a slight air leak where the carb clamps on the intake manifold. I wrap some teflon tape on the intake tube before I push the carb on. To test, spray some starting fluid or brake cleaner around the joint. If there is a leak, the engine RPM will change. Some say to use WD40, but WD40 leaves an oily residue. Starting fluid or brake cleaner leaves no residue.

The throttle isn't sticking, that i checked, for the air leak, i added an o-ring right when i built the bike so i would rule that out....this is really annoying! i just want my baby fixed!!!

Don't rule anything out until you have checked it.

The only intake leaks I have ever really found were right at the carb mount. Occasionally the intake gasket was leaking because the nuts were loose. Never had a problem with the gasket that seals the case halves.

it isn't, the throttle seems to function smoothly, however at the base of the grip it looks like the throttle sheath has split open a bit exposing the cable

Back