Engine Safety Strap/Carrier

H

Hive

Originally here http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5751&page=3

But thought it best to put up separate thread to help prevent engine dismount potential, noted elsewhere. Holds Trek bag nicely, and others as well.

Pics should explain.

Fasteners are SS .25-inch x 2.5-inch bolt at frame and 5mm hexhead screws connecting to stock GEBE engine support/mount. (Raleigh had unique attachment position for rear rack, which I drilled out for .25 hexhead bolt.)

Flat aluminum stock available most hardware type stores, and benchvise, large adjustable wrench, drill and .25-inch bit and smaller bit for 5mm holes. And, if preferred, a drill bit and tap for 5mm screws into the GEBE support - but locking 5mm nuts will work fine.

Have fun.

Attachments

• Gruv24.jpg
    Gruv24.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 321
  • Gruv22.jpg
    Gruv22.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 300
Two suggestions:
1. Use 1/16" thick steel (4130 or mild steel) instead of 1/8" aluminum.
2. Don't cold-bend sharp angles like that, especially with aluminum--stress will end up focused on the corner you bent. Bend the metal with long smooth "S" curves instead.

I know the engine strap that GEBE includes is really soft metal and it has failed people before, I don't know exactly what kind of steel it is--but 4130 is WAY stiffer and stronger. And 4130 steel will be way stiffer and yet still way more fatigue-resistant than 6061 aluminum will be.
~

TrueEnough

Doug,

Good advice. I forgot about that

I noted the stress in the metal when I bent it and suspected it would occur, but it was too late. I plan to watch it carefully. Next time I may try a little heat.

Still, the sharp bends are on the carrier/safety bar, the engine strap is sort of twisted.
But, your caution is well put and I will be watchful, indeed.

Thanks...

i remember seeing your earlier posts about the strap while i was waiting for my kit...no doubt in my mind that a left-side brace is far more effective and reliable.

It was an accidental discovery

Was for bag but ends up doing two things. Moreover, you can fabricate one for the other side that will make it possible to carry two bags and eliminate GEBE center engine strap, if so desired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back