Engine Serial Number

Sorry buddy.
To me serial numbers are important...all real engines should have one.
They provide a true means for QC (quality control) from the manufacturer. With a serialized engine the manufacture can log who did what to it and when during the build process, they also provide a way to track which engine has which parts inside, what parts to use for replacements, and when there is an issue it can be traced back to a specific production run and the issue can be rectified and engines can be recalled. Not to mention how this helps for warranty, registrations, and tracking / providing proof when your bike gets stolen later.
When I first got involved with the happy time engine industry, it was a sad surprise that there really wasn't anyone out there that paid any attention to a QC process this should be a very important thing for any manufacturer irregardless of what their product is. Makes me think of something that Augie had mentioned in another post somewhere...it seems as though when sales increase above a certain point companies (and people) tend to slack off on quality. I agree with him, however when there is a documented QC procedure in place that doesn't happen. In fact, it's quite the opposite...quality improves with age, time, and sales because every little thing gets tracked.

I am proud of my engines, and am glad that they can be traced back to me.
Sorry for such a long post...I tend to babble on when I get started on things like this.

Take care, and ride safe.

"it seems as though when sales increase above a certain point companies (and people) tend to slack off on quality."

That is a gentle and tactful statement that doesn't deserve the kind consideration you've given it,in my opinion .. its worse than slacking off, it's simply ridiculous to manufacture an engine that the very proceses required to produce it,use exactly all the same tecniques it requires for that final common sense application, the serial number.

I can't believe it is simply a matter of 'slacking off' .... I just have to believe it's an import or manufacturing agenda of some type, something that relieves them of dangers of limiting export or knowledge that it's safer for them somehow if we stamp our own numbers.

I don't know, but it most certainly seems more calculated than 'lazyness' or oversight. I mean really, you can hardly buy a paint brush or a roll of duct tape that doesn't have at the very least, a production run.I haven't an ounce of knowledge about laws governing the tracking of the number of pieces a factory produces, but omitting serial numbers seems a good way to avoid tracking records that prove a factory's production volume.Just my own 'creative' example of what I mean by purposeful agenda.

Last edited by a moderator:
No records, no liability.

No "records" could also mean the possible confiscation of my machine... F that, sir.

[Edit: Nevermind; you may have been referring to ChrisHill's post regarding the manufacturing aspect. My bad.

Thanks, Chris, for your post.]

Not registering the motorized bike with my state's DMV is not an option. Notwithstanding all the other hoops I may have to jump through, when all is said and done if pulled over by a peace officer I want to have my "papers" in order. Hahaha...

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh,Bean .... sorry, we were discussing the manufacturing failure. By all means we don't want to avoid having plates attached.