Engine socket bent? Clutch issues?

Matts22366

Local time
4:40 AM
So I bought the 66cc 2 stroke engine from bikeberry and I put it on the bike and I haven't even run the damn bike yet, so here's the issues. So when i spin the clutch assembly with the clutch covers off u can clearly see the engine sprocket is clearly crooked/lop sided when the chain is on and cover also, the chain was grinding into the cover because the sprocket is so off. I don't know if it's the shaft that's off or the sprocket that was just made wrong BECAUSE THE MOTOR HAS NEVER BEEN RUN. What should I do buy a new sprocket or replace something else?????

If I was you I would contact bikeberry and see if they would replace it. I have felt with them and they seem to be good when it comes to making things right. They sent me a brake line instead of my expansion chamber. I told them what happened and sent my expansion chamber and let me keep the line

A heavy duty chain will often grind a bit inside that cover right in the center of the flat side - I just break a piece off right there. If the sprocket isn't turning straight, take it off and check that the woodruff key is properly in its slot, then tighten the sprocket back down straight onto the taper of the shaft and all should be good.

put a bit of chian on sprocket with one link making a 'V 'against the case to keep it from turning - loosen 17mm nut on shaft, use the puller tool from the kit to take off sprocket (you'll have to move the chain to other way around to get tool on tight)

So I don't have the puller tool, it didn't come with my kit. Is there another way to remove the sprocket with another tool or method? Can I buy the tool locally maybe?

hmmm...they should replace it ASAP no questions asked as its a pretty obvious fault that even an unobservant QC should have seen before it was packed...

if you dont have luck with just attempting to pry it off with a pair of screwdrivers or a nice spanner that wedges behind it, the application of heat will do wonders. concentrate on the sprocket with the blowtorch. forget about bearings catching on fire, they dont have rubber seals so no harm done.

only needs to be about 150-200 C (iunno wat that is in f... erm... lemme think... oh... (200/5)x9= umskies... 320 f give or take. a few degrees either way never hurts.)

then its pretty easy to see if its the sprocket (yay) or the shaft (uh oh) at fault.

Ok well I think I may understand what your method of extracting the engine sprocket without the tool would be. Let me get this right so once the NUT is off the sprocket can be pulled off?
Now what if the shaft is messed up, would it be the shaft that's not true or the bearing?
Does anyone have an idea as to where I could get a puller to take off that gear at a store that may be local. Or a tool simalar I could use for the same purpose. Thank you for your help

the shaft is tapered at the end & sprocket is most likely just sitting crooked on the taper - if you want to try a plain 2 or 3 jaw puller, be sure to take bucking bar out of shaft & put a short bolt in there to push against so shaft doesn't get spread out wide from the force of the puller

better to just buy or borrow a kit puller - maybe someone in your area has one you could borrow

When you saw that the sprocket was so clearly out of alignment you should have stopped what you were doing and called Bikeberry and asked for an exchange/refund.

Back