Engine sparks a couple times and then bogs out

Isaac Rosenzweig

Local time
11:14 PM
What's up guys. Thought it was going to be a nice Saturday for me to work on the bike and try to fix the idle issue that I've been having. Turns out today is the first day in months that we've had pouring rain here in Santa Barbara. Now I'm frustrated because this morning I took off the carburetor to try to adjust the throttle cable. Once I put everything back together I tried to ride the bike around the block. I'd drop the clutch and give it throttle to get the bike accelerating for a couple seconds. After a couple seconds even if I reapplied the throttle I wouldn't get any spark and then engine would just die. Sometimes the spark would come back and pop for a second and then go away again. When I got to the bike this morning, the handlebars were slightly wet from condensation -- could this be enough to fry my electricals? Don't have a multimeter to test right now. Thanks for reading

-Isaac

you can check spark by rolling bike & looking at plug - my first thought is you messed up on the carb work tho

I am now thinking it's a fuel issue. The jet could be clogged but I probably only have a couple hundred miles on this bike.. Is there anything in the float assembly that can get messed up/blocked? I can get the bike to start popping when I pedal very fast

one might first check if plug is wet - from there, start on carb flow & float height

if you took the carb off, it could be the clamp on the manifold is either not tight enough (needs to be real tight) or you could not have pushed in the carb all the way (you need to really force it in as much as possible)... before you go further and spend loads of time trying to trouble shoot, i would just check if this is it.

if you took the carb off, it could be the clamp on the manifold is either not tight enough (needs to be real tight) or you could not have pushed in the carb all the way (you need to really force it in as much as possible)... before you go further and spend loads of time trying to trouble shoot, i would just check if this is it.
I am pretty sure it's on there real good, but I will double check that

Back