Engine sprocket does not turn. Help a newbie out? =)

Under General Install, there is a thread named "Wiring - once and for all". Read it and you will know where to stick the wires. As for the clutch. I believe there are lots of pictures of clutches in various states of assembly. Look for differences between yours and the pictures. It sounds to me like that's where your problem is. All this of course, keeping in mind that I don't, and never have, had one of these motors.

I don't know exactly where you are located, but since winter is coming on, if you want to pay the freight, I'll come on down to take a look at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i know where to stick the wires, i just dont how HOW lol. Do i wrap it around the other or just stick them through each other like I did in the picture. I looked through all of the pictures in the forum for clutches and such. No help.

Im in canada, its not much better than alaska haha.

Whatever gives you good contact between wires and nothing else. For the clutch, I'm assuming (scary thought), that when the clutch handle is pulled, the lever turns (wait a minute, I've got to look at the pictures). Okay. When the clutch handle is not pulled, the arm is parrallel with the clutch cover. And when you pull on the clutch handle, the arm moves so it is about 10 degrees inboard of parallel with the clutch cover. If this is not true. that may be where your problem is.
If it is true, the problem probably lies elsewhere. There is a rod that sticks out of the middle of the engine sprocket. If it is pushed in, the clutch should allow the sprocket to turn. If that doesn't work, something is probably assembled wrong.
Good night. Good luck.

yes, step one on the clutch thingy. then we'll know what to tell you. we don't even know if the install's correct yet.

right now, when you pull the clutch handle is the clutch arm moving?

btw-if you're gonna stick around after you get your help, it might be a good idea to post in "introduce yourself" :cool:

i just looked at the first picture...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/charliele/IMG_8973.jpg
your cable barrel appears to be on the wrong side of the arm...and it looks like the arm is facing the wrong direction. pull it out, and make it so the arm has it's cable slot facing the rear of the bike. the brass piece is supposed to go on the outside of it. the little brass piece, when fastened onto the cable correctly, will draw the arm in towards the motor, thus engaging the clutch.

Last edited:
i think that's simply the cover rotated backwards, the arm seems to be in the proper postion, but is it properly installed and adjusted? no telling yet from the pics and info.

i got the clutch working. only one thing left is to shorten the chain and im done. thanks for the help guys, ill still stick around. incase something else happens.

but one more question. in the carburetor, when its at rest, is the cylinder completely covering the hole, or is there a little gap.

that gap is determined and adjusted by setting the idle screw...go back to the happy-time manual if you need to know more about that. keep us posted.

i was just asking if the gap is suppose to be there. Thats all.

I asked my friend and he said it was, to allow air into the carburetor. I didnt see that in the manual. Im just asking simple questions about general things. I have no mechanical background, so I apologise if my questions are dumb.

This would be like if you were working on something that has to do with biology. And you have no biology background at all.You can read the books, but some words you wont understand. I didnt know what a carburetor or sprocket was until yesterday. So youd do the instinctive thing and ask somebody knowledgebl for help. thats what im doing. Sorry if the questions just seem dumb to you

Actually, it was more like having someone give you the book, setting it down, and asking someone else for their crib sheet. You never have bothered to introduce yourself.

Sorry 'bout that. I do sometimes forget my manners.

Back