Engine Trouble Engine stud hole stripped

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotcom

Local time
8:30 PM
What's a cost effective way to fix? I can only use 3 studs to torque down the head but it sounds like im riding with a blown gasket. What options would I have since one of the holes is stripped? I even tried with a new bolt but it seems in stripped internally in the case. Inexpensive solutions preferred please

You can wrap a hose clamp around the missing bolt area and engine. Just gotta get the right size clamp and angle of attack correct. Then tighten the clamp with a flat head screw driver + wrench. The hose clamps are about 1-2 dollars for this size depending on where you live at Home Depot, Menards, etc. Not pretty but she will hold.

You can wrap a hose clamp around the missing bolt area and engine. Just gotta get the right size clamp and angle of attack correct. Then tighten the clamp with a flat head screw driver + wrench. The hose clamps are about 1-2 dollars for this size depending on where you live at Home Depot, Menards, etc. Not pretty but she will hold.

this is a terrible idea. helicoils is going to be the cheapest way to fix other than drilling it all out for larger studs and the easiest way to fix other than replacing the whole engine.

you get an insert tool, a tap, and enough helicoils to do a dozen holes with this kit

Last edited by a moderator:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
if you have a tap&die set, you can tap it to put in a brass bolt, saw & file bolt flush with case, and drill and tap that bolt to take the stud - works as well as helicoil & brass has about same heat expansion as aluminum

Go to a machine shop and see if the have a thread repair kit like Heilcoil kit. Before I ever start a motor bike engine I will pull the studs and make sure the threads are good and deep enough.

he said cheap...
he also wants something that actually works. I could tell him to just slather some jb weld on it and hope for the best and it'll probably still have better results than a hose clamp

I think I will go with the hose clamp, NOT! HAHA
Seriously, I think I will go with the helicoil but I have a couple questions.
The helicoil kit at this ebay link is only $15.99 with free shipping compared to the Amazon listing that butre provided and they seems like the same thing but if I am wrong please do let me know.I have never purchased one and want it easier on the pocket but dont want to get the wrong one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131630780653?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I used the hose clamp when I was too lazy to replace a sheared engine bolt because the bolt was really stuck. It does work but it isn't great. You never mentioned what is your price range only an inexpensive solution, which I take as dirt cheap. Seriously, I wouldn't mention something unless it works and will get you around until you figure out something more permanent. Its regrettable that someone trying to help gets so much sarcastic flame.

I think I will go with the hose clamp, NOT! HAHA
Seriously, I think I will go with the helicoil but I have a couple questions.
The helicoil kit at this ebay link is only $15.99 with free shipping compared to the Amazon listing that butre provided and they seems like the same thing but if I am wrong please do let me know.I have never purchased one and want it easier on the pocket but dont want to get the wrong one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131630780653?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
the one I listed comes with 4 times as many helicoils

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back