Engine Trouble Engine stud will no longer screw into engine

sapientpearw00d

Local time
1:56 AM
Long story short I replaced my original studs with threaded rods of similar diameter. All was going well until I discovered one of the studs is loose and won't screw into the engine anymore. The others are fine. Taking the loose stud out, I found that some of the threads had bits of the engine metal between them, it had dug that far into the engine. Is there a way to fix this? It seems like the stud just ate away enough of the engine that it won't thread into it anymore.

Long story short I replaced my original studs with threaded rods of similar diameter. All was going well until I discovered one of the studs is loose and won't screw into the engine anymore. The others are fine. Taking the loose stud out, I found that some of the threads had bits of the engine metal between them, it had dug that far into the engine. Is there a way to fix this? It seems like the stud just ate away enough of the engine that it won't thread into it anymore.
just tap it the next size up or use a heli coil they work great when done right.

The next size up is a 1/4-20, should be able to just thread it in if it's stripped out.

A threaded rod or ready rod will have to be dressed before use so there isn't a burr sticking out.

I would also like to mention, if any of the bolts or studs are hard to screw in or show significant resistance, don't force it. Stop and clean the bore before continuing.

Back