Engine trouble

Dr Gonzo

Local time
12:19 PM
So i just hooked up my new lightening CDI and it started up first try. I was letting it warm up and all was going well. After about 2 min the rpm shot up and the engine started smoking. I hit the kill switch and nothing. So i disconnected the Spark plug wire from the engine, still kept running. Next, in a panic, i disconnected CDI wires from the motor and it still kept running. I had to choke it out to get the engine to cut off. Any ideas on what happened and how to fix it?

you over heated it to the point that the spark plug acted like a glow plug

in order of likelihood: air leak; or over-lean fuel/oil mix; or ignition timing off

Im guessing air leak because i have noticed with the stock head gasket that there is a slight fluid leak spilling out of it. Not a big leak but a leak nonetheless. Im gonna have to take it apart and sand down the head and jug i think. After researching ive noticed a ton of things i should've done before even installing the motor. But its a rookie mistake i guess. Im fine with buying a motor for $87 and using it as a learning experience. Id pay that for a class in this so its all good money wise. Im just glad i found this forum to helpe out. Kudos to y'all for all the help youve given me.

Im also thinking of relpacing the head gasket with a copper one.
If you do that you will likely never need a new head gasket until you own a second bike. You can reuse it many many times over, and pick between multiple thicknesses to adjust compression. When you pull a head you just heat the gasket red hot, then dunk it in cool water and there you go, annealed and soft enough to reuse.

If you do that you will likely never need a new head gasket until you own a second bike. You can reuse it many many times over, and pick between multiple thicknesses to adjust compression. When you pull a head you just heat the gasket red hot, then dunk it in cool water and there you go, annealed and soft enough to reuse.
Sweet! Yeah ive been leaning towarda the copper gasket anyways but now im sold. Lol

Back