Engine White Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! Here in Hungary a long time ago in the 70's or so we had these engines that were installed on small scooter looking frames (Same type of engine, but looked a bit different) and it had a third wire comming out used for a weak headlight.

Anyone else got a theory of what the white wire is or was for?
The white wire on my 48cc engine is the same as the blue, soldered to the same terminal. If you experiment you'll find that using a VOM set to AC Volts, there's 35~70 Volts out of that terminal, even with the ignition coil soaking up most of the current.

Which means you have a small amount of current overhead to run a tiny cell phone switching wall wart. I'd not go over 1 amp @ 5 volts in it's total output power. Use the physically smallest ones you can find, but check it's rated output. below 1 amp @ 5 volts are the best. They won't turn on at idle but will start to charge at roughly 4K rpm. Because they switch off at low voltage you don't lose your ignition voltage..

The white wire on my 48cc engine is the same as the blue, soldered to the same terminal. If you experiment you'll find that using a VOM set to AC Volts, there's 35~70 Volts out of that terminal, even with the ignition coil soaking up most of the current.

Which means you have a small amount of current overhead to run a tiny cell phone switching wall wart. I'd not go over 1 amp @ 5 volts in it's total output power. Use the physically smallest ones you can find, but check it's rated output. below 1 amp @ 5 volts are the best. They won't turn on at idle but will start to charge at roughly 4K rpm. Because they switch off at low voltage you don't lose your ignition voltage..

OK
Thanks for the input
I was just curious about the White wire and what ya all thought it might be for.
I don't even own a 2 stroke

Remember you're dealing with an AC Voltage at enough milliAmpres to shock or electrocute yourself! So treat the magneto coil wire's current with careful consideration, and don't run long lengths of the blue wire coil's high voltage all over your bike. Better to hardwire in the switching wall wart charger close to the engine with plenty of shrink wrap and insulation and then run the 5 volts DC out. don't run to ground either of the DC 5 volt's wires.

i detached mine from the stator. Detatched the black from the stator, too.
I ran the black wire from the CDI straight to the stator's original black wire terminal inside the left hand side cover.
That means soldering while the cover is off.
It also meant having a short pair of CDI wires, which is fine with me.
It at least helps somewhat to protect against getting water onto electrical connections becausw they are all under the bolted on covers, with some sealants, and some pvs elecrrical tape to get in the way of splashes. 💦😅

Sorry this doesn't say what the white wire was for.
I don't know, but I notice that the China version avoided redesigning about every little thing they could when they took the design from one of the small Riga moped engines. Vikingimike01 mentioned these moped engines that our engimes were based on. China missed out there. They completely ignored logic and sense. 🙄

Riga (Rīgõ) is the capital of Latvia and is where the soviet light moped factory was located. The factory us now a museum. Some of the designs are very interesting. Most have strangely confusing design flaws, but are beautiful in their own way. Some are collector's items now, especially in other countries where a clean example is rare indeed. I would collect them if I could! Definitely more collector's appeal and far more charm than a common Honda. 😀
Riga motors produced the most frugal form of motorised transport which should have made the USSR transport system extremely efficient, almost free for their citizens; but could have been made more efficient on resources to manufacture and run the vehicles if they spent just a little more on intelligently designing their products and manufacturing processes; but that also is true for very many products of the soviet union during the communist era imho! 🙄
Inexplicably it is still true of many products in not-entirely communist countries today. 🙄

Remember you're dealing with an AC Voltage at enough milliAmpres to shock or electrocute yourself! So treat the magneto coil wire's current with careful consideration, and don't run long lengths of the blue wire coil's high voltage all over your bike. Better to hardwire in the switching wall wart charger close to the engine with plenty of shrink wrap and insulation and then run the 5 volts DC out. don't run to ground either of the DC 5 volt's wires.
This time read this
Thanks for the input
I was just curious about the White wire and what ya all thought it might be for.
I don't even own a 2 stroke

Consider it for someone else to find and make use of. It's offered because it comes up often, and I discovered that it works. I could have kept the idea to myself. I'm generous, you're welcome.
OK , That's cool, It seemed like you were talking straight to me since you Quoted me

I could have kept the idea to myself. I'm generous, you're welcome.
BTW, I helped @inspectorcritic figure that out when he was trying to charge his cell phone off the white wire a few months ago
Not your Idea, There is a lot of info online how to do it. These guys build their own Voltage reg. Cause if ya don't get it right you will ruin your cell phone battery overtime. They warn about using off the shelf chargers

Last edited:
BTW, I helped @inspectorcritic figure that out when he was trying to charge his cell phone off the white wire a few months ago
Not your Idea, There is a lot of info online how to do it. These guys build their own Voltage reg. Cause if ya don't get it right you will ruin your cell phone battery overtime. They warn about using off the shelf chargers
Generally the charging cutoff circuit is part of the phone, the little wall wart just supplies a steady source of precision voltage juice at a limited current. I was thinking that the smaller chargers could be used to charge small USB bicycle lights like the flashers/headlights made by Pagao Bicycle light set

I would be interested in seeing if they could run a 3 watt bead COB as a bike light off the blue or white/blue wire and not mess with the engine's ignition.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back